Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you believe in the five-second rule, that food dropped on the floor would be safe to eat if picked up within five seconds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99explorer
    replied
    Honker - Now there are 45 posts. And I thought I might have been the only one on this site who ever heard of (and lived by) the five-second rule.
    As far as gear-testing goes, we know you already have everything you want, but I'm still waiting to test that 36-foot cabin cruiser.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Man did 99 hit the jackpot with this thread! Almost 45 posts! Who woulda thought? F&S should give him something appropriate to test ... like a camo spatula? :-)

Leave a comment:

• Trapper Vic
    replied
    pretzel or tadder chips ok. Maybe not a chunk of herring in wine sause!

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    A local guy has been laid up for about a month with some really evil parasites after employing the five second rule for a doughnut that landed on his truck floor mat. The fact that he has after market rubber floor mats because of the manure and mud he and his kids track into his truck out around the feed lot should have made him give a second thought to downing that dropped doughnut. Should probably add feed lots, corrals, etc. to Dcast's list of exceptions to the 5 second rule.

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Matzek
    replied
    I'm a believer in the two second rule when a bass hits my frog imitator in thick lily pads

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    correction- brothers, sisters "and I"

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    When my brothers and sisters were kids my mother would to say a little poem whenever we dropped a food item on the floor.

“When in doubt, throw it out.”

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    I found this on the internet. Gary

Doctor, my son drops food on the floor, he wants to eat it. I discourage him from doing so, but he invokes the "5-second rule" and says that food is safe to eat if you pick it up 5 seconds or less after it has hit the floor. Is that true?- Roslyn

Research has proved that the 5-second rule is wrong. Bacteria can attach to food even if it's picked up very fast. So it's not a good idea to eat food that has hit the floor.
    While floors that look dirty are obvious hazards, even floors that appear clean can harbor bacteria. Some germs can survive on floors for a long time, and without a powerful microscope it's impossible to determine how many are present.
    Bacteria can attach to food as soon as it hits the floor. That means that even food left on the floor just for an instant can become contaminated if conditions are right. And foods with wet surfaces, like an apple slice, can pick up bacteria more easily. The longer food is on the floor, the more bacteria it will accumulate.
    Some bacteria are not harmful. But others can make a person sick. You can't see the bacteria and, even if you could, it doesn't take many to make someone sick.
    So what are you to do with that delicious piece of whatever that just slipped from your grasp? The safest choice is to throw it out.
    Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    OH- 5 days a week I soak my hands in dead fish and rotten fish blood on the boat. Sometimes there is even maggots in the lobster bait. Once my stomach grumbles, I take off my cotton gloves and start eating! Hasn't made me sick yet...

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Heh, heh.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I think the reason that people get food poisoning in fancy restaurants is that the restaurants observe a sixty-second rule for food dropped on the floor:-)

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    My little Brittany smacks me in the mouth with her tongue at least once a day, usually more than once when I lay down at night. And I know she'll be wolfing down dog poop in the yard every chance she gets too. Hasn't killed me yet. But, hey, I'm a pretty tough old coot.

To all you guys who are so worried about bacteria on your kitchen floor: when you were young and dangerous I bet you didn't hesitate to swap spit with any gal you could on your way to third base. And the duration was always a bit more than five seconds I'm sure. So, was her soggy mouth more sterile than the dry tile in the dining room? C'mon! You guys kill me! I finished gutting my nephew's nice buck this fall, wiped my hands off in the snow, then unwrapped a candy bar and sandwich and wolfed them down. Never gave it a thought. And no, I didn't hold my grub with a pair of tweezers dipped in alcohol. Just my semi-bloody hands. And it's not the first time either. Never got food poisoning from eating stuff with dirty hands or off my floor, just stuff cooked in fancy restaurants. Explain that one please.

Leave a comment:

• allegnmtn
    replied
    I live by the 2 second rule in my kitchen. If I'm lucky and the dogs are having an off day, that's the amount of time I have to retrieve something off the floor.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    ozarkgost - You are right. I forgot about mickeys roasted in an open fire.

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied
    I don't think it takes more than an instant of contact for food to be contaminated, but that doesn't mean that I might not pick something up and scarf it down---depending on the location

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad