Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you believe in the five-second rule, that food dropped on the floor would be safe to eat if picked up within five seconds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may pick up some bacteria immediately when it hits the floor, but the acid in your stomach will/should kill it. To me, water contaminated with bacteria or parasites is more dangerous than something dropped on the floor.

Comment

*Food falls on the floor* Germs: "ATTACK!!!" King Germ: No, we must wait five seconds!" Got this from a friend! I still follow the five second rule anyways!

Comment

NO! I don't believe it, and here's a test to check to see if you believe it.

Would you follow the 5 second rule if you were to drop your food in the following places?

1) Port-a-potty
        2) Restaurant restroom
        3) Your restroom
        4) a New York Street
        5) a Detroit Street
        6) A Sewage treatment plant

All these are relevant based on the theory germs bacteria, parasites, etc... take at least 5 seconds to attach themselves to you or your food once it hits the ground!

Comment

Jhjimbo, Did you think about what you were saying before you posted that? I'm guessing NO!

Comment

Dcast,
            What you are talking about are Coliform Bacteria found in human and animal fecal material. They are made up of Citrobacter, Enterobacter, Hafina,Klebsiella, Serratia and E.Coli. E.Coli is the one usually tested for, for the presence of the Coliforms. Usually non-pathogenic, the one deadly variant is E.Coli type 0157:H7. This one can be found in things like raw ground beef. It can kill you, or, make you wish you were dead.
            Water does transmit many dangerous and deadly bacteria and parasitic infections. That is why after a earthquake or flood so many people are sick or die from drinking contaminated water - does Cholera sound familiar ?
            What i posted above is accurate.

Comment

Dcast, be nice don't throw snow balls.
              You remind me of somebody on this site from Canada. lol

Comment

My lovely late wife used to give me heck for that all the time. I mostly did it to tease her. Really bugged her when I'd pick the candy up off the floor at the store that the kids dropped out of the vending machines. Yep, that would really jerk her chain.

Around my house there's so much dog hair on the floor that it's difficult to salvage anything that is in the least bit damp (Gary, your wife would have a stroke in my kitchen!). But I have done it for specialty items like a piece of goose beer sausage that squirts off the cutting board. Not wasting that stuff! And by the way my dogs ARE NOT allowed to scarf anything on the floor unless I give the okay. Occasionally meds slip out of my stiff old fingers and I don't want them gobbling those!

The five second rule is silly. Five hours probably wouldn't even make a difference. Bacteria don't move real fast and won't replicate themselves enough in that time to make any difference to the sanitizing process that awaits them in your guts.

Comment

Well Sh*t the bed! I pulled a rookie mistake and posted multiple times.

Comment

I know the five-second rule doesn't doesn't apply to the outdoors, as in the case of ice cream being dropped on a fire ant mound:-)

Comment

99explorer I don't know about that, I have picked morsels out of the fire pit, dusted off the ashes and chowed down before. Seems to me it added a little flavor.

Comment

Hi...

I don't use any "second" rule. If anything I'm eating I may or may not immediately pick it up and eat it...or I might just dispose of it.

Regardless...you're taking a chance by eating ANY food that has dropped on a floor...!!

Comment

Great Post. I have a deal with my dog...anything that falls on the floor is his.

Comment

"You may pick up some bacteria immediately when it hits the floor, but the acid in your stomach will/should kill it. To me, water contaminated with bacteria or parasites is more dangerous than something dropped on the floor."

Last I checked water goes the same place as food, your stomach at which time by your comment "would/should kill it". I'm just saying food and water both go to your stomach and there is no difference between whether you eat or drink 'X' bacteria. You will get sick regardless.

Comment

Easy now! Gary

IND_NRA, Me too! Just making a point.

Comment

Whats a little dog hair hurt? Adds fiber to your diet,unless you get too much and end up coughing up a hair ball.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad