Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how were you feeling when you harvested your first deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how were you feeling when you harvested your first deer?

how were you feeling when you harvested your first deer?

As a young farm boy(12)at the tail-end of WWII, money was tight, So Mom asked could you(me) shoot a deer for meat! but not a buck, a young doe would do.I said ok! The next day early morning(I never shot a deer before)I went to our back field/wood line and sat behind a rock wall that looked over the field and tree-line,with my trusty rifle(savage 22Horner)I was told were to place my shot,behind the ear and not to shoot more then 75Yd...Well come dawn 4 deer come-out to the field all does(it was time to do Business)One doe walked towards me at 50+/-Yd feeding,I took AIM..Shot and Miss Brown was Down...then I got the {SHAKES}like a cold chill come over me.Mom heard the shot came-up in the P-up and we dragged the doe(160+#) home. I felt like a KING.

Comment

I too was 12 years old, I had been hunting for two seasons to no avail when my father put me in a tree. He handed me up my rifle, pointed out where he would be and told me to load up come daybreak. I was thrilled, he was going to be just within eyesight in another tree all together which ment I was hunting on my own ( to a 12 yr old mind)!!! I was in the stand for about an hour when three does came crashing by. Through a small break in the fir trees I could tell they were for sure whitetail. I raised my 30-30 marlin with iron sights and waited for the first doe to trot into my sights, squeezed off my shot and watched her pile up. The seconds seemed like minutes before the other does crashed off through the brush, and even longer before my heartbeat wayned off to nothing. I was almost upset with my father when I heard his voice break the new silence to ask me if I had shot one. The feeling was and still is undescribable, I too was KING!!

Comment

Much younger! LOL!

Me and two high school pals (we were 17!) went on a weekend hunt.
        Shortly after daylight, a small 5 point walked within 20 yards. A perfect "behind the shoulder" shot and I watched him crumple at about 60 yards.
        I was shaking like a leaf and almost walked "out" of the low tree stand! I hit the ground yelling to the top of my lungs for my buddies!
        Very exciting!

Comment

I had been in on several kills, but the first time i pulled the trigger i was 17. It was a cold November morning and i had been sitting on a big downed tree since dawn. I was shaking from the cold so decided to have a cup of coffee. As i sipped the coffee a 4pt walked into view at 50yds. Neck shot dropped him in his tracks.
          I no sooner got back to my Power Wagon than the Game Warden came along. After he chewed me out for setting my gun on the hood, he proceeded to yell (yes yell) at me for getting my tag dirty pulling the deer out and that i should have put it on when i got out. I said i was following directions that said "immediately put tag on" and that this was my first deer. Then he smiled and said, congratulations and i won't write you a ticket today.

Comment

I just want to add that my first deer was over 50 years ago with many others to follow and i remember that first one like it was yesterday.

Comment

Relief. I had missed quite a few. Then shot two standing together (they gave two tags in those days). My dad was getting pretty fed up with all the poor shooting (by everyone, himself included). We only had a day or two left of hunting. After that everyone settled down and got their deer.

Comment

My first deer was taken with a bow and arrow. I didn’t have a tree stand so I climbed a large tree. I shot the deer while standing on large tree limbs. It was the greatest feeling. When I finish dragging the deer out of the woods at midday my brothers and cousins were standing by the vehicles. They all ran over congratulating me. I was proud as a peacock.

Comment

I felt just AWSOME!!! Now I can hang with the big boys at camp.

Comment

I met a guy who said he was so excited he ran out of his 20 ft tree stand when he shot his first deer. Lucky he was tied in.

Comment

I don't think my feet touched the ground for two days. I was twelve, on a stand with my dad on a Southern deer drive when a seven point trotted by (actually out of range) and I got enough #3 pellets from my 20 ga. into his lungs to leave a blood trail. We trailed him and I had to shoot him again.

Comment

very relieved that I finally got one. I was afraid it would take me a long time to get one, and then on the second day of gun season, I was sitting in the bottom of a draw while my dad made some noise to try to kick a deer toward me. a doe came trotting down the draw, and then stopped and stared at me. I shot her in the neck with my shotgun and she dropped. I was very happy, relieved, and excited.
                        she weighed 135 pounds.

Comment

I had been hunting deer on 2 occasions before I put my first deer on the ground. I was 14, and I believe that it was November the 7th (beginning of the rut in GA). It was cold and cloudy on this afternoon. It was starting to get dark, but suddenly I saw the buck who had popped out in front of me from out of no where. Well, I started to raise my gun, but about that time the deer froze, turned around and started walking away. Determined to kill this deer, as soon as he stepped right behind a tree I raised the .300 Savage Model 99 to my shoulder, took the safety off, and when he came out from behind the tree I let him have it. I was surprisingly calm during the whole ordeal, but as soon as he ran off I got the shakes. My hands were shaking very badly, but I managed to grab my phone and call my hunting partner to tell him that I shot a deer, and that I wanted to get out of my stand ASAP (I was told to stay in my stand until he came and got me). Well, it felt like an hour, but about 5 minutes later my hunting partner arrived and I finally got out of my stand. My hunting partner asked which direction the buck went in.When I showed him we started after the blood trail. It looked like somebody had taken a 5 gallon bucket full of blood and just poured it out all over the ground. Finally, I saw the white belly of a deer about 40 yards in front of me. I think the both of us ran up to him! I got down to him, and the first thing I saw was that he was a nice 8 pointer. We eventually got him gutted and dragged out of there and I was on the way home! It turned out that night that I had a whole bunch of family over at my house for some reason or another, so I got to show off my buck to my cousins, uncles, and friends that night. And yes, I felt like I could have taken on the world! Sorry bout the long post! I just remember that hunt like it was a yesterday.

Comment

I was 14 and was so excited to actually have a rifle in my hand on opening day of deer season. I couldn't wait to see a deer. As luck would have it, while enroute to the hunting grounds, we rounded a corner on a logging trail and spooked a young spike buck that bolted for the timber. He stopped an even 100 yards away and looked back from the timber. I bolted to a nearby tree to get a good rest. All I could see through the brush was his head.

My neighbor was driving the truck and decided we should 1-2-3 him to be sure he didn't get away. He opened his door and it squeaked and clattered. The deer jumped a few steps and started looking real nervous. I started getting nervous myself as the cross hairs settled in and his ears kept twitching.

Then I heard my neighbor's 30-06 magazine rattle off his door as he jumped out. Next came a lot of loud swearing as he dug through the snow looking for his magazine. The deer hopped a couple more times and looked like he was ready to bolt. I couldn't take it and pulled the trigger on a solid shot. It hit right between the eyes as planned and I had my first deer.

My neighbor was upset that I hadn't waited for him but it took us a couple of minutes to find his magazine in the snow and I doubt he ever would have gotten a shot. I was elated and decided at that point to shoot nothing but accurate rifles for the rest of my life. There is nothing like a young hunter's first deer.

Comment

Hi...

Satisfied, happy, delighted.

I was sitting on a hillside overlooking an open pasture, which was bordered by evergreens.

Soon, a deer showed itself. I knew it was a long shot, so I clicked the rear sight on my 'tiny' M1-Carbine to 300 yards, and fired a round.

The deer went down immediately. I fired a few more shots just to 'make sure' it was dead.

When I reached the buck, it was still showing signs of life, so had to shoot it again.

All of the additional shots that I originally fired at it had missed completely...!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rip -rbg
                                by Danbo
                                RBG Rest In Peace.
                                All it needs to be is 50 + Pence.
                                Collins and Murkowski doesn't matter. GOP has 53 plus Pence.

Every six...
                                Today, 08:48 AM
                              • Rip -rbg
                                by fitch270
                                2020 adding to it's bag of tricks....
                                Yesterday, 09:26 PM
                              • Reply to Rip -rbg
                                by Pmacc60
                                Let’s keep it real , we need to re-elect Trump for the economy , the first and second amendments . More importantly to keep the worst ticket excuse...
                                Today, 08:46 AM
                              • Reply to Will there be a debate?
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                I am not too sure Bubba, if it is possible to confirm that he is not an idiot. Until we hear from him first hand, and not just from words put into his...
                                Today, 08:15 AM
                              • Will there be a debate?
                                by FirstBubba
                                President Trump is chomping at the bit to debate "Sleepy" Joe.
                                The DNC hasn't cancelled the scheduled debates, but they sure are hem-hawing,...
                                08-31-2020, 05:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X