Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That soccer referee in Utah who was punched by a 17-year-old goalie has died. How should this incident be treated and what shoul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That soccer referee in Utah who was punched by a 17-year-old goalie has died. How should this incident be treated and what shoul

That soccer referee in Utah who was punched by a 17-year-old goalie has died. How should this incident be treated and what should the goalie's punishment be?

2nd degree murder/manslaughter depending on how they wish to describe it in the particular jurisdiction. Of course he will be tried as a juvenile. A good lesson for all the sucker punch bar brawlers out there. I'm betting this kid came from a real sweet home environment.

Comment

All of the attorneys on the news say he will be charged with aggravated assault because one cannot expect one punch to kill someone. I don't agree I think he should be charged with murder but I am not the one doing the charging.

Comment

Since he is 17 there is a chance that he could be tried as an adult, which I think he should be, especially if he has had a history of violence to others before this. If he is not legal he should be tried and then turned over to Mexican authorities to serve out his sentence.

Comment

You assault someone and they die that reads like murder to me. Especially a referee who is supposedly off limits.
          I think Utah gave up the firing squad but they have short way with lawbreakers in the Beehive State. I'm sure they will think of something appropriate.

Comment

Really sad! For both the Ref and the goalie.
            I'm quite certain at 17 yoa the "intent" was NOT to kill, but that doesn't excuse the youngster! It's bad enough one life was destroyed, that young man's life will no doubtedly be ruined as well.

Comment

I am not familiar with the laws in Utah. But if this death resulted from a single punch to the side of the head and the goalie has a clean record. I believe the District Attorney will probably give the jury several options to charge the defendant. If the victim had any prior health concerns that will also carry some weight. If that is what happened with no extenuating circumstance. He might get less than 3 years if that.

Comment

I am not familiar with the laws in Utah. But if this death resulted from a single punch to the side of the head and the goalie has a clean record. I believe the District Attorney will probably give the jury several options to charge the defendant. If the victim had any prior health concerns that will also carry some weight. If that is what happened with no extenuating circumstance. He might get less than 3 years if that.

Comment

Its a felony to assault a sports official. It usually is not applied but it was made for cases like this. I do not know the case law or sentencing, but I'm certain it is a felony.

Comment

I was wrong. According to google Its a felony in PA apparently not in Utah. I was surprised only 18 states have laws about it.

Comment

A seventeen year old is a juvenile not an adult. He still must pay for his stupid unsportsmanlike crime. I do not believe the goalie's intent was to kill the referee with a punch. It wasn't premeditated and planned out like the marathon killers in Boston. It is hard to say what the jury will do on this case.

Comment

I hope he is charged as an adult, I grew up playing sports and even as a little kid I knew you never argue with an official, much less strike him! I think the parents should also be charged for not raising their kid right! My parents would never allow me to back talk a ref. in a game, but today in an age where everyone gets a trophy and we have to worry about feelings, kids are coddled and allowed to act like animals, I bet this is not this kids first attack on authority.

Comment

To be charged with manslaughter does not require intent. Drunk drivers who kill people are routinely charged with manslaughter. I think anyone who assaults someone, even without the intent to kill, and winds up killing them should be charged with manslaughter/2nd degree murder. It's not an accident. The assailant did intend to hurt the deceased and anytime there is an intent to hurt someone there is always an attendant risk that it could escalate, one way or the other, to death. However, two combatants who both willfully engage in an assault that results in death (for example boxers or other martial arts) are, of course, exempted from being charged. I think a hockey player who INITIATES an assault could be on thin ice, especially if the deceased was sucker punched or did not otherwise choose or have the opportunity to engage in the altercation. Like I said, if one chooses to play the dangerous game of assaulting people, he better be willing to risk paying the consequences for having deliberately endangered someone's life and then causing their death. And that risk is time in prison.

Comment

I should hope that the goalie would be tried as an adult. The reports say he was quite a bit heavier than the official.
                            The court has an opportunity here to make an example of this young barbarian.

Comment

1) "He is a good kid whom never gotten in trouble previously"

2) "He was working on getting his diploma and attending ______college to be a pediatric nurse because he loved helping children"

3) "My son is not capable of this there must be a misunderstanding"

4) "My kid didn't mean to hurt the ref he was just frustrated"

5) "He just got over excited"

You get to choose the defense argument!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad