Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is considering a rule to remove the gray wolf from its endangered species list in the lower 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is considering a rule to remove the gray wolf from its endangered species list in the lower 4

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is considering a rule to remove the gray wolf from its endangered species list in the lower 48 states, now that the species has re-established sizable populations in 15% of its historic range. Is this a good idea?

Any time that we can keep a species from going extinct, and bring it back to a healthy state in a natural environment, we all have won. Is the USFWS's timing right? I don't know. Only the future will tell if it is and my crystal ball is in for service right now. I would rather see them re-established over a wider area than just 15% of their original range. But then again I would like for the passenger pigeons to come back too.

Comment

I doubt we'll see any enthusiasm for the wolves or support for their reestablishment from ranchers, since I see no way to keep the wolves away from cattle or sheep. From the instant wolves cross a barbed wire fence to private property, I believe they'll be "endangered" on that acreage. That'll make a tough business even more difficult.

Comment

Bear in mind that the historic range of the gray wolf includes most of New England, the upper midwest and some other now densely populated regions.

Comment

yes time to hunt them

Comment

If their population is monitored and carefully culled I do not see a problem. Like Ozark said it's always good news when any species are brought back. I'm sure some Ranchers will object. But problem Deer and Hogs have been dealt with under a supervised kill. So I think everybody will be happy.
            As a small child I saw a Mountain Lion in the Adirondacks, I have remembered my whole life and wish my Grand Kids would have that experience.

Comment

I am sure their population will be culled, not only by hunters, but by every rancher will a rifle in his pickup.

Comment

The Fish and Wildlife Departments know what their doing. They have the expert field biologists who watch over all the endangered species.

Comment

In the interest of human and wildlife survival, we need to be careful in our promotion of very dangerous predators. Anyone living with a lion or tiger in their back yard knows that. Wolves aren't quite that bad but they sure do eat ungulates, terrorize livestock and occasionally people. They are capable of irradiating large herbivores and other species from an environment. Therefore, you can't just let them run without some control in areas where they cohabitate with humans.

If politicians and tree huggers don't agree, then they should first accept a pack of wolves for their community. After their deer, dogs, cats and children are eaten, they might change their mind. They seem quick to decide on the back yard of others. I for one don't mind keeping wolves to a relatively low level of population unless they are inhabiting wilderness areas that can sustain their population without significant risk to humans and their property.

Comment

Should it be removed from the Endangered Species List? Maybe. If they are no longer endangered, then the states should take over protecting them. I also want to make it clear that removal from the Endangered Species List does NOT mean I think they should be hunted. There is still reason for them to be protected in certain areas. As a hunter, I feel it's our duty to protect all animals and hunt only those that we can responsibly use or need to be hunted. Taking care of a wolf like you would with a coyote and shooting it as soon as it threatens livestock without at least attempting to resolve it in a non-lethal, but practical manner is slightly irresponsible I think. Though I feel the same way about coyotes to a certain extent, coyote populations are more than stable, so I'm not gonna complain.

Comment

Its just another Dangerous Pack DOG that will kill to EAT every thing with-out "discrimination" its time to thin out the heard and pelt them out! my 2Cents

Comment

Treestand I hear what you are saying. My Uncle and Cousins ran a farm. So I understand the competition with nature. I also understand that Man's views can be immediate and short sighted. If you have ever seen how Wolves hunt it's similar to how Boarder Collies herd. In some ways I admire them more than some Hunters. They hunt to eat and take old and stragglers. Not the animal with the biggest horns.
                        I know - I know all this is in a perfect world and it's hard to get all Green Peace when the kill you calf or pet dog. But JMHO

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad