Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s the best bear bait I could use in the spring time to attract bears to my trail cameras. I never baited bears in the sprin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s the best bear bait I could use in the spring time to attract bears to my trail cameras. I never baited bears in the sprin

What’s the best bear bait I could use in the spring time to attract bears to my trail cameras. I never baited bears in the spring. In the fall before hunting season the bears love meat the best. Field and Stream is having their three monthly “Spring Trail Camera Contests.” I want bears photos and photos of little bear cubs with the sow would be awesome.

I used Honey over Strawberry Twizzlers Hangem High off a branch near your T-Cam, the smell of Honey and Twizzlers in the Sun will drive em wild.

Comment

Treestand, good idea. It will be a large boar to stand up for the camera. Thank you!

Comment

P.S.
        I will sting up the twizzlers around six feet. Will see what happens. Trail cameras don't lie.

Comment

check your state's regulations. In WV it is illegal to feed or bait bears.

Comment

Anise extract, which is also the licorice scent, works wonders. Circle your bait sight with used fry-a-lator oil in a 30 ft radius, the small game that passes through it, skunks, coons, squirrels etc will track the sent out of the area allowing the bears to back track to your bait sight.

Comment

Sarge, thanks for the heads up.
              New Jersey allows baiting during bear season. I am just starting my bait pile a little early this year.
              I want to get a head start on the other bear hunters.

Comment

Sarge another point of information is one of the bambi lovers was feeding bears in her back yard. She was charged by the NJ Fish and Wildlife Conservation Officer for feeding bears. In county court her attorney’s argument was “why are bear hunters allowed to bait bears with a gun and my client can’t bait bears with a camera?” The Honorable Judge found her not guilty.
                Her name was Susan Kehoe and you can Google the case on the internet.

Comment

I remember the case Gary.

Comment

We don't hunt or bait bears but often find them on our trail cams for deer.

Here are some of the photos and video we have, if your interested www.deer30outdoors.com/bear-photo-gallery/

Comment

A mix of vanilla extract, caramel extract, and anise oil mixed in equal parts and diluted with water will get them into the area, and day old pastries make great bait. Bacon grease, peanut butter, and molasses spread on trees and rocks in the area will also get them in.

Comment

Great suggestions Bioguy.

DEER30, nice bear photos.

Comment

bacon grease and molasses over pastries or bread work great. Anise extract or cake frosting work great if you are not getting much rain. carp or other fish heads work great as summer progresses. Stick to things that smell/are really sweet or really stinky.

Comment

Last summer we were fortunate enough to buy a barrel of raspberry jam, which was doughnut filler, and had real raspberrys in it along with the seeds. It worked awesome and was drawing some bears 4-5 miles from others bait sights to get to our baits that had the jam present. Beaver carcasses are a very good meat bait, if you have any trapper friends that have frozen carcass you may want to try a few of them. Placing the bait up high on a smaller tree, maybe 6-8 inches in diameter and 6-8 feet off the ground may help in getting cubs on camera. The trick being to find a tree too small for the boats to climb, yet large enough that they don't pull it over. I had 3 cubs and a sow tending two separate baits all season last year. Cute little buggers!!

Comment

@Gary Devine, Hunting in Jersey? Do you have a relative that is a Marine Col.? I have a great friend who lives in North Jersey who may be interested in a bear hunt this year.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to What's going on in the cities?
                                by labrador12
                                Rochester NY has 14 shot at party, 2 deaths. NY Safe Act in action. Democrats just can't understand the relationship between the law abiding and the lawless....
                                Today, 09:38 AM
                              • What's going on in the cities?
                                by labrador12
                                If a white guy shot 12 children there would be hell to pay, and rightfully so. Chicago saw 101 shot this weekend, 14 fatally. Why is there no outrage?...
                                06-22-2020, 10:00 AM
                              • Reply to Rip -rbg
                                by FirstBubba
                                I don't think the GOP is a bunch of, "weak old ladies".
                                I think they're just trying to play by the rules, but dealing with a bunch of...
                                Today, 09:37 AM
                              • Rip -rbg
                                by fitch270
                                2020 adding to it's bag of tricks....
                                Yesterday, 09:26 PM
                              • Reply to What's going on in the cities?
                                by labrador12
                                No. Rupert isn't opening this year. I'm booked for Sept 30th to Bellingham. The $ is outrageous. I hope the poop gets grouped a little better next year...
                                Today, 09:34 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X