Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Success!!!! After 8 years of applying I finally drew an Elk Tag in Montana's Area 417. 380+ class bull here I come, now only 6 m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success!!!! After 8 years of applying I finally drew an Elk Tag in Montana's Area 417. 380+ class bull here I come, now only 6 m

Success!!!! After 8 years of applying I finally drew an Elk Tag in Montana's Area 417. 380+ class bull here I come, now only 6 more months before hunting season. I am so excited. Did anyone else get lucky that they know of yet?

Congrats! Gun or bow?

Comment

Thats awesome. Will you be hunting public land?

Comment

Ahhh, looks like missouri breaks region. No wonder you were excited!

Comment

Tneal, you better make it bow hunting or forget it. By the time rifle season opens those elk in there move out of the public land and onto the Eastern game-hog properties. I'm sure you know the score up there. I have a very close friend who is an optometrist in Lewistown and in the past he has had no trouble getting his bull in that area with a bow, and a couple of nice ones but not 380+! It's going to be tough to find one that will score that high. The one in my profile probably looks about that range but he's actually only 354. Wait ... you're saying you EXPECT to kill one that big, not that the tag requires them to be that big, right? Congrats.

Comment

Just hope it doesn't rain up there in the Breaks! Congrats! Best of luck to ya'

Comment

Hunting all private land with a rifle.

Comment

Good for you, tneal. That is the dream hunt of a lifetime. RMEF 'Bugle' ran a story on the Breaks that drew fire from some members for exposing the honey hole it is. I may hunt MT next year if my health holds up.

Comment

Congrats tneal, that will be a great hunt for sure. I just got my notification too. After dreaming for a lifetime, I finally got a tag for area 318 in south western Montana. For me, it is worth the price of the tag just to dream about hunting that beautiful country. A nice bull would just be an unexpected bonus. I'll hunt hard though and hope to get helpful suggestions from this wonderful group as the time approaches. Best of luck to you tneal!

Comment

montana's nonresident tag system sucks. You first must draw a general tag prior to putting in for a limited entry tag. I'd just about give anything to have a sheep tag for the breaks.

Comment

Nice Tneal looking forward to some pics maybe in person at that time. thanks for the info on deer by the way forgot to get back to you on that one. im counting down the days until im wondering that state.

Comment

Jay, Montana's non-resident system is no worse than the other ones ... the other ones that have decent game left.

Put in for a ewe tag in the Breaks. They're not nearly as hard to draw, very easy to shoot one, and they are EXCELLENT eating.

Comment

tneal, do you want to sell the tag?

Only kidding, and Congrats to you.

Comment

We are hunting Unit 30/31 in Colorado this year. Bull tag is over the counter, but the mule deer license is strictly draw everywhere in Colorado with various success rates in the draw unit to unit. I put in for a cow tag as well. Just have to wait and see how the draw goes. Best of luck to you guys on the Montana hunts!

Comment

Thanks WAM... I didn't think the tag process was bad for non-residents other than that the licenses are pricey. Over $1000 for elk/deer tag but since it is a trip of a lifetime for me, I'll do it. I even came out of retirement to earn the money for the trip. I've got to buy a couple of horses and pay for enough certified weed free hay and diesel fuel to get them to the happy hunting grounds for my bucket list trip. Since it is about 4000 miles round trip, I might need to buy a few hot dogs along the way too. What we do for FUN, eh?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad