Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An earlier posted question wanted to know if fly fishing was a sport. I want to know if bull fighting in Spain, Mexico or Portug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An earlier posted question wanted to know if fly fishing was a sport. I want to know if bull fighting in Spain, Mexico or Portug

An earlier posted question wanted to know if fly fishing was a sport. I want to know if bull fighting in Spain, Mexico or Portugal is a sport or an art. Is “The Running of the Bulls” a game, a tradition or is it a sport? Is the Canadian Calgary Stampede Rodeo a sport or is it games? The animal rights groups say all three are animal cruelty. What’s your comment on all three animal events?

You mentioned four events that are separated by thousands of miles. To give you one answer, rather one word. I would say TRADITION-TRADITION-TRADITION. Now let me get off the roof and back to my Grand Kids

Comment

I think that bullfighting is a sport with a low level of sportsmanship, given that the bull is almost all bled out by the time the matador steps in to finish him off.
      The Calgary rodeo is also a sport, but the running of the bulls in Pamplona is a moronic spectacle with great entertainment value where some drunk gets himself trampled or gored to death almost every year.
      All are traditions, as Carl noted, but none of them are games.

Comment

Gad! Will fishing season never open? Any more of this poppycock and I'll probably start poaching. Devine, it's your fault that I'm turning to a life of crime.

Comment

Carl, I only asked about three animal events.
          1. Bull Fighting
          2. The Running of the Bulls
          3. Calgary Stampede Rodeo

Guys, check out these photos of bull fighting matadors in Spain that were gored by a bulls. One bull's horn went in under the matador's neck and came through his mouth. These guys are brave or insane.

www.google.com/search?q=spanish+matador+gored+by+bull&rls=com.mic rosoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADRA_en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=uni v&sa=X&ei=e3d4UaSRC6yP0QHooYCQBg&ved=0CDkQsAQ&biw= 1365&bih=723

Comment

Ontario, please go fishing instead because crime could put you behind bars. We would all hate to see other men abuse you in jail. LOL

Comment

Very true Gary but Spain had two events. So it's three countries and four events depending how you count.

Comment

99explorer, I agree with you. Rodeo and bull fighting are sports.

Comment

Gary - Thanks for the pictorial. Great photos but a lot of repetition.
                  The matador's biggest risk is getting his foot stepped on by the bull, and being unable to move away from the sweep of those sharp horns.
                  I wince at the sight of those body parts being impaled on the horns. Ugh! I feel their pain!

Comment

If curling is a sport, then so are rodeos. It will take a little more convincing for me that bullfighting and the running of the bulls is a sport. Just because someone does something dangerous, crazy, or stupid, doesn't make it a sport.

I have to say, in regards to bullfighting, I have a moral objection to it because the animal's death is not quick. The bull fighter's thrusts are almost never made in an attempt to kill the animal quickly and humanely. As that is not why the crowd is watching.
                    I do not judge their heritage/traditions. My objection simply prevents me from entering a ring with an angry bull. That and common sense.

Comment

OH- Spring turkey starts on the 29th and runs through to June first. Before you become a reckless poacher or start drawing grafilthy all over town out of sheer boredom, you're welcome to come down and hunt a Tom gobbler here in Maine.

Comment

Wow P-H-W! So I could start turkey hunting here in GA on March 23rd and if I work my way north, hunt gobblers til June?! That would be awesome! I have to start my planning.

Comment

All three are sports, they are spectator sports with huge followings. They all (with the exception of the running of the bulls) require an athelete that knows what they are doing in order to be competative, otherwise they just die. The running of the bulls is a sport that they let anyone partake in, and people that are foolish a lot of the time perish during the event. All by choice.

Comment

I think that of the three, only bullfighting involves animal cruelty.
                            In the rodeo events, steer wrestling and calf roping require a bit of minor violence that does not begin to approach cruelty. JMO.

Comment

Thanks, Pray. I had planned to hunt turkeys with Redfish in Mississippi around now but my daughter is expecting to drop her first calf in early June and she is nervous. I'm all she has left for family, either immediate or extended, so I better stay put and give her a hand. If I went hunting and left her alone, my wife would kick my butt when/if I get to heaven. Wouldn't want to spoil that reunion. Well, not any more than I already have.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad