Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else get extreamly annoyed when your peers or co-workers whom you only associate with on the week days feel the need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what I cannot stand is when people just go on and on and on about themselves.. until the have exhausted every detail of the hunt. for example, I bring up something that happened to me while hunting and then one of my friends turns to the other and says " oh! did you tell him about the so and so I shot? I couldn't believe it worked. so here is what happened, blah blah blah blah..." what started as a small detail about my hunting experience turned into a huge story from the other person. I don't mind listening to hunting stories but enough is enough. usually I just show a picture, give a brief ( very brief) story of what happened, and then answer the questions they might have. to the point, simple, and doesn't take 20 minutes.

Comment

I usually enjoy a good story no matter the subject. Weather the ending is win or loose. It all depends if the person is a skilled raconteur and the story has only a hint of BS and no self promotion.

Comment

Well since I take my co-workers hunting when they want to go I usually know their stories, but get to listen to them tell the other staff members when we get back to work.

Comment

Well, when I worked for the Park Service there weren't many - make that any - coworkers who did any hunting. A few were fishing folks. I very much enjoyed listening to fishing stories at the lodge in Alaska even if I didn't know the people telling them. Some folks are fatheads but that's just nature for you. They can just as easily be a fathead talking about the tires on their truck or wiping their butts. I enjoy seeing good hunting photos even if they are of fatheads (except for arseholes that pose the carcasses unnaturally - e.g. smoking or wearing stupid hats). The coworker stories I can't handle are about screwing around on wives, sexual conquests, punching out people in bars, etc. Ugh! Slob behavior is not limited to just hunting/fishing.

Comment

I hate it when people make up stories to sound like they are good. For example, this kid told me he called in 3 different toms in one day with his mouth call. That's reasonable, isn't it, until you hear him use the mouth call, he sounded worse than a dying rabbit. Another kid said he shot a 12 pointer and a 14 pointer, when we asked for pics, he said he didn't take any.

Comment

Ncarl why are you on this website if you don't care about other peoples hunts? Got some attitude issues there kid.

Comment

357, I'm on this site to gain valuable knowledge , ask questions, answer questions and kill time between outings. My question was a simple one ment with no negative intent. I never said I didnt care about other peoples hunts but nobody wants to hear people brag and come off pretentious when talking up their hunt. I don't appreciate your condesinding comment. Ill tell you what really burns me is when posters ack pretentious or otherwise superior by belittling and picking apart other posters. You are doing just that. you havent contributed a bit to this thread with that comment. The fact of the matter is you don't know me from atom but I can assure you I don't have "attitude problems". Maybe it's you who has the problem. Have you forgotten that we are having this conversation over a computer? So tell me how are you qualified to tell me I have an "attitude problem" having never met me. Wow I didn't expect such a rise out of people.

Comment

I enjoy listening to the stories of other hunters very much! My hunting partner has been hunting all of his life (and is now 81 and still going strong) and I think I hear a new story every time I'm with him. Sometimes I hear the same story over and over, but I always pay attention because he is always trying to make a good point. I do understand though. I don't like it when people act like they're bragging or they put you down because you haven't killed game as big as theirs or what not. I keep my hunting to myself and my hunting partner mostly, unless somebody wants to hear about my deer or turkey hunt. I'm a little upset that I have only managed to kill 1 jake this season (I have had the worst luck possible this season), but that's just a part of hunting. You don't always kill game and it's not always going to be as big as other peoples game, but you just have to be thankful what you have and that you are able to hunt. Sorry for my long spew!

Comment

Enjoyment has to be shared to be fully appreciated and these folks are, for the most part, trying to share their enjoyment of a successful hunt. Granted, there are folks with whom I don't want to have any sort of conversation, like those who think their stories are so much better than mine---Ambrose Bierce defined an egotist as, "Someone who thinks more of himself than he does me." Yep.

Seriously, I don't mind too much. There are people who can tell a good story and those who can't, and I'm not going to change either one. I just grin and nod. Sometimes I have to find urgent business to attend to at another location---sometimes I actually learn something.

Comment

i always enjoy a hunting story

reading ncarl's post reminds me of something a teenage girl would write on facebook

Comment

Maybe they're really excited and don't understand that someone wouldn't want to hear about a successful hunting trip especially a fellow hunter that they consider a friend.

Comment

I agree with the guys above. I love all hunting and fishing stories during work, at the gun club, at a party or at a family get together.

Comment

I get a little upset when they call in sick on a Monday or Friday and they tell me about their remarkable three-day hunting trip when they return to work. Other than that, I'm pleased to hear if they've had a good time afield, especially if they tell me where they've hunted and I extract a promise that I'll be invited or included next time they go.

Comment

Wisc14, Use your critical reading skills and try to understand what saying! Nobody likes to hear someone brag! That's what I'm trying to say! Have you read the entire thread? If you did and still feal this way your comprehension is eather that if a 5th graders or I have used to big of words! Funny how I'm getting -1s but people who are basically agreeing with me are getting +1s. How many times do I have to say! I enjoy listening to my friends stories but when a mild aquantence rambles on and on and does all but come out and say "I'm the greatest hunter alive" it annoys the crap out of me. There can I state it any more bluntly for you?

Comment

I always enjoy talking about hunting and fishing. I like to hear about someone's hunt and I enjoy seeing their enthusiasm about their hunt.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Real Quiet
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  He walks stiff legged, like a robot. Maybe he is not from this planet or maybe the anti-Christ....
                                  Today, 09:33 AM
                                • Real Quiet
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Dosen't anybody have an original thought ?
                                  Yesterday, 12:23 AM
                                • Reply to Target Practice
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  I would start with .38's in my ruger Blackhawk. Then if her grip is sufficient, I would let her shoot some .44spl in the 29 after I shot a couple to...
                                  Today, 09:32 AM
                                • Target Practice
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  My Niece has been doing some shooting, 9mm and .22lr - doing very good. Shoots at a large indoor two level range. She has 2 pistols and already looking...
                                  Yesterday, 07:51 PM
                                • Reply to Real Quiet
                                  by franchi20
                                  Take a good look at him. I think he's a Muppet.
                                  Today, 09:25 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X