Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tip of the day: Something from the bathroom for gun maintenance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip of the day: Something from the bathroom for gun maintenance.

Tip of the day: Something from the bathroom for gun maintenance.

I have two toothbrushes in my gun cleaning kit, one for solvent and one for oil. I can usually reach up into the chamber area of my A-5 and get it pretty clean with a toothbrush and Hoppe's. Dismantling that shotgun takes special screwdrivers, a good manual, and lots of patience. Not much fun and definitely not something I want to attempt in a Montana motel room. Also, a toothbrush is the only thing I have found that will clean and oil a ventilated rib thoroughly.

Comment

Q-tips - I go through a great many of them to clean my firearms.

Comment

I find that a toothbrush is a must for getting out the crud behind extractors.

Comment

Yep Q-tips and toothbrushes. Q-tips are great for wiping down small areas and the toothbrushes are more suited for scrubbing down surfaces, especially if there is carbon fouling present.

Comment

There a larger brush inside the plastic container behind the toilet. Has anyone used that brush when cleaning your guns? LOL

Comment

Well this is not exactly from the bathroom, but I use puppy training pads on my gun cleaning table. they absorb any spills, and being plastic backed, no leakage. When I'm done, just roll them up and my table is clean as a whistle!

Comment

I have some syringes from my son. With the points blunted they distribute oil and Hoppes very neatly.

Comment

12 gauge, mud, plunger. What more can I say. :+)

Comment

Some brands of swabs don't hold up well to Hoppes and fall apart or leave bits of cotton in the mechanism. Get the cheap ones and you're asking for trouble.

Comment

Not bathroom items, but new pipecleaners, old shoelaces and lengths of twine are helpful also.

Comment

In the Army we used pipe cleaners, tooth brushes and Q-tips. Old t-shirts make pretty good rags for wiping things down.

Comment

All good ideas. I was about to mention pipe cleaners when Ed brought them up.
                          When you reuse your toothbrush on teeth Shooters Choice tastes better than Hoppe's with Crest paste.

Comment

Better add, that was a sick joke regarding toothpaste

Comment

All good ideas and I have used most of them except the puppy pads. Might try that some time. I am dating myself but cloth diapers work well for wipes if you can still find them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad