Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you guys are into traditional outdoor skills? Flint knapping, blacksmithing, trapping, etc. ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathfinder1
    replied
    Hi...

Fishing and hunting...all for food.

My main outdoor endeavor though is trapping, which I used to do professionally. I use leg-holds and body grip traps.

I also sometimes host a one day "Survival Woodsmanship" class (not at all like the TV 'survival' shows).

Leave a comment:

• JustTakeMeHunting14
    replied
    for the traps, I use legholds and conibears when I'm trapping for fur for the fur buyer.I use deadfalls snares and spring snares mostly for practice but also the occasional rabbit or two. For the wingbone calls the question really wasn't stupid because it's hard to find much info on the subject these days. They can be taken from either cooked or raw. If they are raw you have to boil them and I also add salt to help preserve it. The cooked ones the main thing is to clean all of the junk out and I would still probably boil that as well. I do flintknap as well, really what I think is the most important thing is to be picky about what rock you hit and where you hit it. I have learned the majority of what I know about flintknapping on youtube and I think it is extremely helpful specifically a video by Billy Berger called how to make primitive weapons. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions!

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    Sorry so vague. I'm into minimalist trekking. I hunt, fish and eat what I harvest. I process my own game for freezing, drying(jerking), curing, sausage, smoking, etc. I grow a big garden each year and can, freeze, dry, etc. that harvest. I ferment hard cider and brew beer. My trapping is just snaring small game while on the trail. I tie my own flies and make some lures. I make knives and do some blacksmithing, mostly making fire irons and other camp gear. I do traditional muzzleloading/buckskinning and make my own accutriments. I have knapped my oen flints and even knapped an arrow head or two. I dutch oven cook and I bake our sourdough bread (hence the handle). That is a start. I'm sure I do other self sufficient stuff, but to me it isn't out of the norm

Leave a comment:

• Knife Freak
    replied
    Justtakemehuning
    Traditional traps as in leg holds or traditional traps as in snares and deadfalls? And on the wing bone calls I have a stupid question. Can you use the bones from a cooked bird or do you take them from a raw bird? Also you say you make all the components in archery. Do you flintknap because I am just starting and it is quite challenging. Sorry about all the questions.

Leave a comment:

• JustTakeMeHunting14
    replied
    I make traditional bows.I make my own arrows and all of the components that go into them.I use traditional traps from time to time. I make turkey wingbone calls. I can tan a hide.I use atlatls blowguns and stuff like that for fun.I trap hunt and fish.

Leave a comment:

• Knife Freak
    replied
    What do you do? sorry I wasn't specific I was just wondering what you guys did and I was looking for tips and tricks on some of them.

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    I guess that I would fall into that category.

Leave a comment:

• How many of you guys are into traditional outdoor skills? Flint knapping, blacksmithing, trapping, etc. ?

How many of you guys are into traditional outdoor skills? Flint knapping, blacksmithing, trapping, etc. ?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad