Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you guys are into being self reliant. Or consider yourself self reliant. If so what do you do to be self reliant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you guys are into being self reliant. Or consider yourself self reliant. If so what do you do to be self reliant?

How many of you guys are into being self reliant. Or consider yourself self reliant. If so what do you do to be self reliant?

I was having a discussion about this very topic with a college student just this morning at a second hand outdoor gear sale. He was shopping for fuel bottles and didn't understand what I meant when I said that fuel grew on trees. Neither did he get it when I talked about the "bucking donkeys" out in the oil fields pulling that American freedom up out of the ground.

Comment

That's sad. Its not that I don't understand the concept its just that I was wondering what you guys did personally to be self reliant. That is something that I have noticed people are wasteful and rarely make stuff for themselves. Don't get me wrong I have canned fuel, but I have definitely cut firewood and burn it during the winter.

Comment

Self reliant can mean many things the far extremes would be close to where I live.
        40 acre ranches with no electricity and run off generators and wind mills that power batteries. They come in to town once a month to restock on food and fuel and are proud they live "off the grid". Not sure how that will work for them when the generators dont have gas to run to power the battery banks.

In moderate terms I would say the following applies.
        1. stay out of debt.
        2. have as close to a year supply of food if possible. canning and self perserving foods is a great way to start.
        3. plant a garden and try to keep it as long as possible.
        4. lean skills that may keep you alive should what ever bad event might happen in your area hurricanes, earth quakes etc.
        5. reload and stay stocked up.
        6. keep spare money on hand in the event of a power outage or emergency.
        7. ensure other family members are doing the same.
        8. learn first aid and have the supplies on hand.

I would think these simple rules would help most folks in almost any bad situation. Should the ultimate end of the earth situation happen zombies, the polar caps melt etc. transportation roads, cars welfare and other government provided things will quickly end. Its then these simple rules will come in handy. Good luck and may the force be with you.

Comment

I grew up living off the land. My family and I hunted and fished for just about everything we ate; pheasants, ducks, geese, doves, quail, rabbits, squirrels, deer and antelope. I trapped and sold furs for bullets and staples and even raised mink so that I could have a reserve of furs . I trapped and sold catfish. I felt very comfortable living outdoors and off the land. All I needed was my trusty .22 to get dinner anytime I was hungry.

For true self-reliance I dreamed of getting a good education and learning what was going on in the world around me. I was able to sell enough furs and catfish to graduate from college and get a good job. I was able to buy my house and raise a nice family with no assistance from anyone else. If the world as we know it ceases to exist, I am well prepared to survive on whatever is left on earth but the highest probability is that I will have to use my knowledge to survive and that is what I keep working on.

Comment

Depends on what you mean by self reliant. I think I am in that I work hard at a full-time job to support my family. We’re not rich but we have enough to live a pretty good lifestyle. If you mean living totally “off the land,” no way. I bring home a fair amount of fish and game for our table, gather other wild foods and grow vegetables in the garden, but most of our food, clothing etc. comes from commercial sources, water comes from city pipes, etc.

Comment

Have given this some thought, and do not feel my answer reflects over confidence or conceit.. I am 75 years old, done about everything, made plenty of mistakes, and done a few things right. The years of experience and grey hair have tempered my judgement. There is no one else other than myself I would rather have to depend on in any kind situation. Is that self reliance? I guess so.
              Course, guess it could be fool hardiness. Kindest Regards

Comment

I don't live off the land by any means, but I have a friend who is a rancher and a welder, and he lives exclusively on wild game. He grows his own vegetables, bakes his own bread and makes his own wine. His water well runs on a windmill.
                I once told him that if he could grow his own coffee beans and kept a dairy cow, he would never need any money at all.
                But he let me down and just signed up for cable TV.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad