Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK guys here's a tip for spotting turkeys. When you approach a meadow, hayfield, green wheat field or other open place sneak in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK guys here's a tip for spotting turkeys. When you approach a meadow, hayfield, green wheat field or other open place sneak in

OK guys here's a tip for spotting turkeys. When you approach a meadow, hayfield, green wheat field or other open place sneak in behind dense cover without exposing yourself and glass the field with binoculars. First look for whole birds, then look again for heads sticking up in the grass. Many times we spot birds that are hidden with nothing but the old periscope up. When you expose yourself they disappear and you will never know he was there. When you find a good bird stay completely out of sight, sneak closer, set up and call. Good binoculars will help you avoid wasting time chasing hens and jakes too. What say you?

If I find a field loaded with grasshoppers, I give it special attention. The turkeys back in NY and here in OH are all over them.

Comment

I have found the best tasting turkeys can be glassed behind glass in the frozen food section of a Grocery store..... All joking aside, good tips as usual Del.... Turkeys defenitly have great vision, if they spot you first it is usually game over... so going slowly and using your bino's gives you a good advantage....

Comment

Del,

Damn, sounds good. But,don't think next week will work

Kindest Regards

Comment

Camo + Patience + Binos = Dead bird

Comment

I always give out a few chirps with diffrent calls. See if i can hear anything in the distance then sneak to a place where i can set up and call em in.

Comment

What say me? Ask the "Turkey Masters". You, Ray Eye, Will Primos, Etc.

Comment

I agree w/ya. Got my Tom this way last weekend!

Comment

Sounds like som good advice coming from a really good turkey hunter who knows what he is talking about.

Comment

Worked for me his year!

Comment

Agreed with FloridaHunter1226 and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad