Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My wife loves song birds. She likes to read in the second floor patio and watch the birds. I put up three bird feeders behind ou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathfinder1
    replied
    Hi...

I've seen some feeders that will 'close up' the seed cage when the squirrel's weight is upon the feeder. Works really well.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    They have a variety of feeders that prevent squirrels from getting access to the goodies. I have a couple of these and they work great.

Leave a comment:

• Knife Freak
    replied
    I have mine strung between two posts using wire and I have not seen any squirrels on it. However I have seen them on the ground. I don't think they can walk on the thin wire.

Leave a comment:

• 1ojolsen
    replied
    Get a good quality blow gun or sling shot.

Leave a comment:

• Hoski
    replied
    As you wish, but after 3 years I've yet to see any bird try to alight on the vertical shaft...they're after the feeders.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Great suggestions guys, thank you.

I think I will pass on axle grease and the Vaseline idea. I wouldn't want the squirrels to transport the axle grease or the Vaseline to a tree limb that could easily get on a song bird. My wife would not be happy that I did that to one of her singing song birds.

Leave a comment:

• 708jonah
    replied
    My dad cuts the bottoms out of pop bottles and puts them top up under his feeders. Sounds like your squirrels might be a little more committed to your seed than his are... the squirrels in his yard haven't tried to chew at the bottles yet...

Leave a comment:

• Kiko Guam
    replied
    I have a Brome 1024 Squirrel Buster feeder that has withstood attempts by squirrels for two years. The squirrels have chewed at the aluminum cap but have not gotten to the bird seed.

Leave a comment:

• Hoski
    replied
    I've got 3 feeders hanging from Shepard's hooks. I fastened medium sized stainless mixing bowls a couple feet above the ground. I also liberally apply axle grease under the bowls. Look for bowls without a lip that the squirrels can get ahold of, or grind off the lip as I had to do.
    They'll still try, but it's fun watching them fail.

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    Gary use the metal ones if you can find them. Squirrels will chew thru the plastic but they can't chew the metal. A farmers co-op or hardware stores are good sources for them.

Leave a comment:

• mike0714
    replied
    try a have a heart trap with peanut butter and corn as bait, a pellet gun, or if the squirrels are climbing up the pole then put vaseline on it.

Leave a comment:

• Ncarl
    replied
    I would suggest a gamo air rifle

Leave a comment:

• canvasbackhunter
    replied
    You might try a live trap and find a way to dispatch them quietly and safely.

Leave a comment:

• thehunter98.6
    replied
    I have a bird feeder in my backyard and the squirrels kept eating all the seed and destroying the feeders. I switched to safflower seed and the squirrels wont touch it! Try safflower.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Ozark, I been feeding the squirrels on the ground with corn to keep them off the feeders. When the corn runs out, they go back up to the feeders. I like your plastic guard idea.
    I was thinking of catching them in a Have-A-Heart trap then drive them five miles away and let them out, but that’s against the law.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad