Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My wife loves song birds. She likes to read in the second floor patio and watch the birds. I put up three bird feeders behind ou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife loves song birds. She likes to read in the second floor patio and watch the birds. I put up three bird feeders behind ou

My wife loves song birds. She likes to read in the second floor patio and watch the birds. I put up three bird feeders behind our house. The damn squirrels have destroyed two of my feeders. I went to two different pet store chains and bought feed that stated on bag “Birds Love It and Squirrels Don’t”. That was total hogwash because the squirrels still ate it. I can not shoot the squirrels because there are houses all around me. Does anybody know of a bird feed that squirrels hate and the song birds love?

I do not think there is some seed the squirrels will not eat.
    I saw a program on Discovery trying to keep squirrels out of feeders - they could not do it. They thought they had a plan by stretching the feeder between two trees with round balls like you see at swim pools covering the rope. The squirrel would hit the ball and flip right off. So, after about three tries one squirrel figured it out - he backed up and hit the string running as fast he could, cleared each ball and got to the feeder before they could throw him off. At camp the deer hit the feeders and knock them to the ground. Can't win. If you find something, let us know.

Comment

Hey Guys, sorry to get off point from the above question but just a heads up.
      "Senator Feinstein insults all U.S. Veterans. I just posted the story on the Message Page of Backlash/Blowback.

Comment

I've had luck keeping squirrels and chipmunks out of planter boxes by sprinkling cayenne pepper on top of the dirt. They were burying sunflower seeds in the planters from the bird feeder. I've read that mixing cayenne in birdseed seed keeps squirrels away. Birds can't taste the capsaisin that makes peppers hot. I've also mixed it in a sprayed it with Murphy's Oil Soap and sprayed it on sweet corn to keep squirrels and raccoons away. It works ok. Not as well as in the planters. I'm saving a jar of habanero sauce to try this year. I'll probably end up killing my corn with that stuff.

Comment

I've had luck keeping squirrels and chipmunks out of planter boxes by sprinkling cayenne pepper on top of the dirt. They were burying sunflower seeds in the planters from the bird feeder. I've read that mixing cayenne in birdseed seed keeps squirrels away. Birds can't taste the capsaisin that makes peppers hot. I've also mixed it in a sprayed it with Murphy's Oil Soap and sprayed it on sweet corn to keep squirrels and raccoons away. It works ok. Not as well as in the planters. I'm saving a jar of habanero sauce to try this year. I'll probably end up killing my corn with that stuff.

Comment

You can tie a metal cone, like the ones vets use to keep dogs/cats from scratching their ears, above the feeders or on the posts below them. Squirrels can't get a grip on the metal and fall off. Don't underestimate the squirrels though, they are very smart at solving puzzles when it comes to a free meal. You might try putting out food for them as well, to keep them away from the bird feed.

Comment

Ozark, I been feeding the squirrels on the ground with corn to keep them off the feeders. When the corn runs out, they go back up to the feeders. I like your plastic guard idea.
              I was thinking of catching them in a Have-A-Heart trap then drive them five miles away and let them out, but that’s against the law.

Comment

I have a bird feeder in my backyard and the squirrels kept eating all the seed and destroying the feeders. I switched to safflower seed and the squirrels wont touch it! Try safflower.

Comment

You might try a live trap and find a way to dispatch them quietly and safely.

Comment

I would suggest a gamo air rifle

Comment

try a have a heart trap with peanut butter and corn as bait, a pellet gun, or if the squirrels are climbing up the pole then put vaseline on it.

Comment

Gary use the metal ones if you can find them. Squirrels will chew thru the plastic but they can't chew the metal. A farmers co-op or hardware stores are good sources for them.

Comment

I've got 3 feeders hanging from Shepard's hooks. I fastened medium sized stainless mixing bowls a couple feet above the ground. I also liberally apply axle grease under the bowls. Look for bowls without a lip that the squirrels can get ahold of, or grind off the lip as I had to do.
                          They'll still try, but it's fun watching them fail.

Comment

I have a Brome 1024 Squirrel Buster feeder that has withstood attempts by squirrels for two years. The squirrels have chewed at the aluminum cap but have not gotten to the bird seed.

Comment

My dad cuts the bottoms out of pop bottles and puts them top up under his feeders. Sounds like your squirrels might be a little more committed to your seed than his are... the squirrels in his yard haven't tried to chew at the bottles yet...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                                by franchi20
                                Yup, seen that. Don't need you posting the obvious....
                                Today, 08:19 PM
                              • Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                New cases and hospitalizations ballooned this week in several states including Texas, Oklahoma, California, and Mississippi. Hospitals in Houston are...
                                06-24-2020, 09:09 PM
                              • Reply to Voter Fraud
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Jimbo, marshal law would be a huge mistake, only bad things can happen from then on ! If you want a revolution in this country, marshal law would be...
                                Today, 08:01 PM
                              • Voter Fraud
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                                11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
                              • Reply to Voter Fraud
                                by rock rat
                                Brad Raffensperger, Georgia’s secretary of state, who supervises its elections. He refused to cry foul and fraud just because others in his party couldn’t...
                                Today, 07:54 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X