Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming from mibasshunters question, who has ever gotten a bad case of poisin ivy?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Coming from mibasshunters question, who has ever gotten a bad case of poisin ivy?

    Coming from mibasshunters question, who has ever gotten a bad case of poisin ivy?

  • #2
    My mother had a bad case a few years back that was blistering on both arms. Each blister was about the size of jelly beans. She had it for weeks. Towrad the end of the summer, one the first day of school, I got it while helping a friend set up a stand. Mine was just as bad. Both arms were wrapped up for a month, and my arms looked gross. We tried every product under the sun, we both needed antibiotics. I still have scars. To all of those who say it doesn't bother, I said the same thing, but once its in your bloodstream, you have it bad.

    Comment


    • #3
      How bad your reaction to poisin ivy is depends on how allergic you are and the site of your exposer. Eyes are bad. I have had men work for me that can weed it out like any other plant. I did have one that had it so bad he had to be hospitalized. One thing you have to be careful of is burning it and inhaling the smoke.

      Comment


      • #4
        If think everybody on this forum has had a case of it.

        Comment


        • #5
          I am very allergic to it. Or I used to be. Now it is almost like I have built up an immunity or just don't notice it because I have had it so much. I have it at least 10 months out of the year though. I have learned a trick though. If you wash the areas that you have poison ivy in dawn, it dries it out and makes it heal faster.

          Comment


          • #6
            As a child, I had poison ivy on a regular basis. Have had some very serious bouts with it also. Pretty much immune to it now.

            Comment


            • #7
              Never have had an issue with it, or any of the common poisonous plants (like poison sumac, and poison oak)

              Immunity maybe?

              Comment


              • #8
                I have.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I didn't get it as a child but now get it almost every summer. I had poison oak? from a trip in Northern California that was terrible and seemed to last weeks.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    As a teenager, I worked for an auctioneer. We were selling a barn full of antique furniture. The auctioneer had a local farmer brush hog the field in back of the barn for parking. Apparently the field was full of poison ivy that was shredded into a fine mist of oil that coated the entire field.

                    We all got it pretty bad. One of the kids I worked with ended up going to the ER and doctor a couple of times.

                    If you attended an antique auction near Berkley Springs, WV in the early 80's and got a terrible case of poison ivy, sorry. That's one field that shouldn't have been mowed for parking.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If you think you've been exposed, bathe with some lye soap. It's the best thing I have seen to wash of the oils and dry out the blisters. I used to get it nearly every summer when I was a kid.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My older brother cut a large fuzzy vine that had a one inch diameter. He didn’t know it but the vine was poison oak and as he was climbing up the tree in his climber tree stand. Every three feet he would cut that poison oak vine, again. He said he cut that poison oak above him at least five times and all the particles floated down on top of him.

                        The next day my brother was scratching so hard his skin was bleeding. He was going insane. His wife drove over to my house and I gave her my medicine from the Dermatologist. He learned his lesson the hard way.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Growing up in the woods, I spent the first eight years of my life with a perpetual poison oak rash. I guess I finally developed an immunity to it and have never been bothered by it since. As a teenager I made money clearing it from other folks property.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I get it atleast 2 times each summer. I got a case right now where its all over my chest arms and legs. I get it so easily it stinks. Always need the meds to get rid of it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Never had it, but I did sit in a red ants nest in shorts when I was a little fella...

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                              Right Rail 1

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Right Rail 3

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X