Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tonight's supper was a cottontail rabbit cooked into a delicious Hassenpheffer, though a couple of nights ago supper was an elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonight's supper was a cottontail rabbit cooked into a delicious Hassenpheffer, though a couple of nights ago supper was an elk

Tonight's supper was a cottontail rabbit cooked into a delicious Hassenpheffer, though a couple of nights ago supper was an elk steak. What is your game consumption, mainly big game, small game or game fish? Or, do you not eat what you harvest?

In the fall and winter(hunting seasons) I eat mostly small game 1-3 times a week as I can only hunt on weekends. In the summer I eat fish about once a week because I don't catch that many and I only go fishing on friday evenings.

Comment

We eat what we harvest in game and fish. Unfortunately don't get to eat as much game and fish as I would like. I have always been of the philosophy that you should eat what you catch or hunt or make sure some one else can use what you don't want. Hate seeing game/fish go to waste, especially with as many hungry people there are who would like to have a good meal.

Comment

Pheasant boned out and done up with various kinds of shake and bake with Swiss Chalet dipping sauce on the side. Also goose pepperettes and jerky. Nothing fancy. I'm a regular Chef Boy-ar-dud.

Comment

Lots of venison, a goodly amount of trout and squirrel, a little bit of bear, and now wild boar.

Comment

I eat whatever I can stick my fork into. I don't eat game once a week, but when I do, there is a lot of it. I saved up most of my rabbit this year for the grill this summer. I also make lots of jerky out of any scape meat i can find. I was disappointed this winter when the freezer went out, spoiling a limit of dove. In my opinion they are one of the best.

Comment

Freezer has salmon, walleye and perch in it plus venison. Lots of serving size containers of venison chili and venison stew that i make with venison steak cutin small cubes.

Comment

i eat a lot of venison. if i can manage to kill 2 deer im pretty much set on meat for the fall and winter. and it really helps on the checkbook being in college not having to purchase beef. i substitute venison for everything. if im feeling adventurous i sometimes take the time to prepare pheasant. usually wrapped in an ungodly amount of bacon, but its always delicious. if me or a buddy is lucky enough to land a few steelhead im always willing to indulge on one of those bad boys.

Comment

Last night my Lady Friend made Gulf Jumbo Shrimp with Smoked Venison Sausage and Home Grown Garden Greens. Its Good to be the King....Lol

Comment

Just whitetail deer .

Comment

In a typical year I usually eat venison and lots of northern pike with the occasional walleye or panfish fry.
                      In recent years turkey and bear have been in the mix as well.
                      My buddy hunts birds and waterfowl so there is usually some donated goose, duck or pheasant in the freezer.

Comment

I grew up eating what my family harvested including veggies, quail, dove, turkey, rabbit, fish, pork, and deer. When I got married over forty years ago, I picked a country girl that was raised the same way. Thus we eat off the bounty of the land, (and water) every day as a way of life. Long live catheads, fish gravy, mustard greens, and homemade butter!

Comment

If i kill it I usually eat it, i've even had Coyote. it was good.

last year we ate some rabbit, wild turkey, quail, dove, goose, duck, antelope (gift from a hunter that hunted my parents land), bear (simular situation to the antelope) we also ate a ton of trout.

hope to eat more bear, more venison, and more small game this year.

Comment

Elk, halibut, salmon, and steelhead. I have not killed a deer since 2007.

Comment

About 75% of the meat I eat is wild game or fish. I'm usually lucky enough to have a deer in the freezer along with squirrel, grouse, ducks, and geese mixed in. I have fish a couple of times a month, everything from trout to pan fish to walleye to suckers depending on what type of fishing I'm doing.

I've always subscribed to the philosophy that if you're going to shoot or catch it you need to eat it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad