Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I went to the pistol range at my club yesterday, and found plenty of empty .22LR casings at every firing point, and little or no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went to the pistol range at my club yesterday, and found plenty of empty .22LR casings at every firing point, and little or no

I went to the pistol range at my club yesterday, and found plenty of empty .22LR casings at every firing point, and little or no big bore casings. I got the impression that shooters have been hoarding their big bore pistol ammo and practicing with .22LR ammo. That would explain the shortage of .22LR ammo on the shelves of our gunshops. Have you found this to be true in your area?

The shortage of .22LR is chronic is my area. Shelves are cleared shortly after a (limited) supply arrives. The supply of smokeless powder, brass, primers and many of my favorite bullets has slowed to a trickle as well.

Comment

Same story here. Out local places get small shipments of ammo in and its sold out quickly. We can't find 9's, 45's, 38's, 357's, .22's, 40's, anything that is common.

Comment

It is probably also due to people picking up the centerfire brass to reload, but I think there may be something to your theory.

Comment

people at the ranges around me are picking up centerfire round to reload or sell so that is one of the reasons you are probably seeing only 22's

Comment

.22 LR brass is the only brass I don't police up, religiously.

Comment

The shelves here aren't "stacked" with 22 ammo by any means, but I can get pretty much what I need. The selection isn't big, but there is some ammo.

Comment

The last time i was at WalMart in N.Ohio they had a little of about everything, pistol,rifle and shotgun with a 3 box limit.

Comment

ive been able to get ammo on a decently frequent basis though it is all ordered through the mail, cant find it on store shelves. but the missing piece of my handgun reloading puzzle is primers. YOU CANNOT FIND SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS ANYWHERE!!!!! 180 grain .40 smith bullets are a close second to the primers.

they just opened up a new cabelas 15 minutes from my university, i went on the opening morning and was able to snatch a box of 650 rounds of 180 .40 cal for $250 bucks. price per bullet was actually a pretty good deal compared to what you find elsewhere.

Comment

I can find primers, but they're like $8/100! I can remember primers being $9.50/brick!

Comment

firstbubba, forgot which website, but somebody was privately selling 5000 small pistol primers. let the BIDDING begin at $70!!! talk about a rip off!!!

Comment

Scratch, dirt-cheap pre-Obama (2008) prices for 5000 primers would be around $100 American money.

Comment

Actually my closest local indoor shooting range is the only place that I can find .22 lr or 9mm ammo. They sell reloads of all pistol rounds but have factory 9mm annd 22 lr. If this is like the shortage after the election in 2008 it may take as much as a year for the shortage to end.

Comment

Another reason your brass could be disappearing at the gun range is because some people scrap brass and copper items. They can get cash money at the junk yard with brass, including old faucets and chrome plated traps found in the trash.

Comment

The cost of center fire pistol ammo is causing the sale of .22 ammo to rise as well.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X