Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever seen anybody break their leg in two places or get an injury as horrible as this? NCAA College Basketball Player Ke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Sorry to say that I have seen quite a few of these on the football field. Many were multiple breaks of the femur. I played as a defensive back before they outlawed spearing tackles so I was accountable for over 20 of them myself. One was unfortunately on our own second string running back (quite accidental). He had a double femur break with extruding bones. To top it off, his dad tripped over a curb while carrying him into the hospital and broke BOTH his ankles. It was a very sad day for me. After spending days with him in the hospital, I decided to use different tackling techniques and was elated to see them outlaw spearing tackles.

The worst I ever saw was a kick returner that both gunners hit at the same time from opposite directions with all three parties travelling full speed. I hit low, breaking both legs in multiple locations and my teammate hit high breaking three ribs and puncturing a lung. That was a sad day too and we feared that he would not make it to the hospital. This made Theisman's look like a walk in the park. Thank heaven we no longer have spearing tackles and crack-back blocks in the game of football.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    Reminds me of the hit that LT put on j Theisman.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    The Chicago Sun Times shows how the Doctors repaired Kevin Ware's leg that was broken in two places. This link is harmless and you don't need a strong stomach for this one.

www.suntimes.com/sports/19231005-419/no-replay-needed-for-kevin-ware-broken-leg-video.html

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    The link I posted above with the injury video was blocked by CBS. I checked other sites and they also been blocked. CBS must be challenging the copyright violations with other websites for using their film.

The Louisville Coach Rick Pitino said "Kevin Ware is lying on the court with six inches of bone sticking out of his leg and all he kept saying was Win The Game".

This link below shows a close up photo of the injury. Warning it is graphic!

www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2013/04/kevin-ware-broken-leg-photo-nsfw/

Leave a comment:

• Skeeb
    replied
    In my profession if you don't have a strong stomach you're in trouble, but on that note that is by far the one of the worst breaks I've seen. All you can hope for with that is good meds and as good a recovery as you can get.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    An uncle of mine was a surgeon for many years, but threw up the first time he saw the victims of an auto accident at the scene.
    He was accustomed to seeing patients covered with sheets except for the part he would be working on, and seeing bodies on the grass was out of context for him. Strange but true.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I was a medic in '67 so not too much bothers me anymore. The injury was nonetheless gut wrenching to watch. I hope the player recovers without complications.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry A.
    replied
    I've also worked a couple homicides and suicides that weren't pretty, for that matter.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry A.
    replied
    I've seen some nasty injuries from traffic accidents, and replays of the Theismann injury, but always after the fact.

Leave a comment:

• ITHACASXS
    replied
    I've seen a lot of bad breaks, blood spilled, and nasty injuries in my life, I also was there when a poor fellow shot himself (on purpose) on the waterfront, I thank God I didn't run away (sure thought about it) or get in the way. If I'm there, I believe I can handle it and do what I need to do to help, but I cannot bear watch something like that on film, I can't.

Leave a comment:

• Mdhunter1
    replied
    i have a pretty strong stomach but i swear to god, i almost threw up watching that video.

Leave a comment:

• Mdhunter1
    replied
    my science teacher had a bench fall on her legs and split both of her lower leg bones in half in both legs. took her months to slightly recover and she still has a limp.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Gary - Yes, I remember that well. I also recall Fran Tarkenton getting a leg broken on a sack.
    Quarterbacks usually suffer concussions from helmet to face impacts, rather than broken legs. That seems to be more of a lineman's injury when someone rolls up his leg from behind.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Explorer, I never seen bones break on the basketball court, either. CBS Sports blocked the instant reply from being shown to the television audience.

Remember, Monday Night Football the New York Giant linebacker Lawrence Taylor breaking Washington Redskin quarterback Joe Theismann's leg?

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    That is a weird accident.
    I once tore some cartilage in my knee coming down with a rebound when my foot stuck to the floor as I turned sharply. I recently had a total joint replacement done in that knee many decades later.
    But I've never seen a broken bone on a basketball court before.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad