Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what kind of bait should i use for coyotes/foxes this time of year for my trap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of bait should i use for coyotes/foxes this time of year for my trap?

what kind of bait should i use for coyotes/foxes this time of year for my trap?

1) What kind of trap? (I'm assuming foothold or snare because coyotes don't like cage traps all that much)
    2) I know you're a beginner, so what are you going to do when you catch something that's not a coyote? You may catch a cat, a domestic dog, a fox, a bobcat, or numerous other species, so you at least need a catch pole so you can release non-target species.
    3) I do not recommend you begin trapping coyotes without a mentor. Traps do not discriminate. The first time you catch somebody's dog or cat in a trap, and they find out about it, I will guarantee you will have a bad day. An experienced trapper will help save you from experiencing those headaches and will guide you to become a more successful trapper.

Comment

Ditto~~Bioguy01

Its better and more FUN to Snipe at yote's on call-ins or over bate and you can see your "target" as for bate, I use Two cans of cheep all "meat" dog food for starters in a feed sack, tie it down to a post,tree,or tent stake.

Comment

Make sure fox is in season in your state. Most the time they are in season when their fur in prime in the winter.

Comment

Hi...

Bait is one thing. Lures generally work much better, including urine from the animals that you will be setting for.

Much additional info can also be gotten from the many trapping web sites available on the 'net.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad