Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone here had a bad experience with someone you bought out to the woods? as in they did somthing really dumb that was dang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone here had a bad experience with someone you bought out to the woods? as in they did somthing really dumb that was dang

has anyone here had a bad experience with someone you bought out to the woods? as in they did somthing really dumb that was dangerous? ill post

ok i brought one guy i know out to the woods with me because he had never he had really been hunting before. he was holding my mossbrg 22 and i was kneeled down looking at some tracks teaching him about what they were, where they were going, how big it was ect.. well not only was he not paying attention to where the gun was pointing (about two inches from my head) but he also was playing with the safety and the trigger! the gun went off two inches from my head! i knind of blame myself for this, i should have made sure he knew all the safety stuff with guns. anyone else have somthing like this?

Comment

Years ago, I took a friend from college deer hunting. We were headed out of the woods at the end of the day and stopped at the edge of the field in back of my house to unload our guns (I thought). I took about three steps towards the house and "boom!" For what ever reason, my friend decided to dry fire his gun. Apparently he'd removed the clip from the rifle and left the round in the chamber. I don't know where the rifle was pointed (and I never ask) but I felt the muzzle blast on the back of my neck.

Like AM, I'm always a little more careful with new hunters now. I watch their gun handling and ask questions about loaded/unloaded.

Comment

I have taken people hunting who got too trigger happy and wouldn't stop shooting. Once a rabbit shot out and my friend had to duck in order to not get shot by friend 2. I have not hunted with friend 2 since.

Comment

I once took a friend hunting when I had a cabin in the Berkshire Mountains. I lent him a Winchester Model 94, as he claimed to be familiar with lever action rifles.
          While we were loading up in front of my cabin, I noticed that his rifle was pointing at the building, and I asked him not to shoot my house.
          He replied that he was not going to shoot my house, and pointed the rifle away from the building. As he chambered a round and lowered the hammer, his thumb slipped and the rifle fired, harmlessly into the ground.
          Needless to say, I kept him in front of me all day so I could keep an eye on where that muzzle was pointed.

Comment

In highschool, I once took a good friend of mine out with a single-shot 12 ga. to try to teach him about firearm safety and show him my hunting area.

he had never held a gun before so we practiced unloaded and then I gave him a shell to take a shot with. Everything went fine. Then I gave him another one and eventually showed him how to uncock the hammer if you decide not to fire by holding it with your thumb, depressing the trigger, and slowly lowering the hammer. Well, the hammer slipped from his thumb and the shell went off right next to my leg.
            Luckily, I was standing so close that the shot didn't have a chance to spread out and I was not hit. It has not affected our friendship or my attitude towards introducing someone to hunting or firearms. I still love to take new people out, but I am more careful in making sure they are proficient with its workings and proper safety before I give them a live round.

Comment

BTW, this seems to be a common occurrence with beginners, as I had seen it happen once before with a friend who had just bought a new lever action deer rifle. This was before the advent of the cross bolt safety.

Comment

Before you put a gun in a new hunter's hands it is recommended that you take them to the range first to familiarize them with the weapon, how it functions, and to handle it safely.

I have a single shot break action .30-30 that's a little old. One day when I closed the action, the safety failed and the firing pin disengaged firing a round without me having to pull the trigger. Luckily I was pointing the gun at the ground when it happened. Before my father let me have the gun, he went over how to load it safely and stressed the importance of ALWAYS having the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. The day the gun went off in my hands, I could not be more thankful for his advice because I was in the company of himself and my uncles. Had one of them been killed due to my negligence or ignorance, I don't know how I could have lived with myself.

Comment

I mentioned this on another F&S question but I had a guy from our gun club who drove his truck through the Canadian border and had illegal drugs hidden inside his truck.
                  We all could have been arrested at the border because of this moron.
                  I never hunted with him, again!

Comment

When I was a kid, had another kid try to climb through a barbed wire fence with his rifle pointed at his chin.

Comment

I have experienced some unsafe situations with adult hunters but never with the youth hunters that I have been with. A youth hunter is not embarrassed if you quiz him before a hunt, not so with the "experienced" hunters. My latest regret happened this fall while pheasant hunting. This "experienced hunter" having hunted over 50 years with "intellegence" holding a doctoral degree is one that I will not hunt with again. I feared for the safety of my dogs and of others. I promptly ended the hunt and will not hunt with him again.

Comment

Two other shooters and I were practicing with handguns in an area that provided a good backstop. One fellow decided to demonstrate his quick draw. As the muzzle of his 4-inch barrel cleared leather, he already had his finger on the trigger and the .357 Magnum discharged, sending a bullet very near the toe of his boot, which is a questionable way to trim your toenails. We didn't want a repeat performance of that, and we leveled a little humor at him (Years later, we still call him Quick-Draw McGraw). He responded to our suggestion to distance himself from us by a county or area code, and moved to the right flank. Setting up a target elsewhere, he hammered away and we quickly realized his choice of backstop was a moss-covered rock. The ricochets caused some body-and-fender damage to his van, parked nearby.
                        With the awareness that "bad luck" often befalls those who don't plan ahead or consider the consequences, we quickly ended our practice session, and his subsequent suggestions that we practice together fell on deaf ears, since there's always some higher priority when the suggestion is made.

Comment

I'm 18, so at the time it seemed like a good idea to bring a kid i met into the woods. He's only ten but has never been hunting or fishing, yet he has an interest in the outdoors. So we were out rabbit hunting in a fresh fallen snow when I spotted a rabbit 30ish yards out I let him try to shoot it. Not realizing he had never shot a gun before as soon as he hit it (he actually places an awesome shot) he whirled around and pointed the gun right at my face while jumping up and down. The thing is you have to get over it, put him in hunter education, and take him out to practice safety and let him hunt more, kids will learn and improve.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                            by PigHunter
                            I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                            Today, 02:16 PM
                          • Cheaper Than Dirt
                            by jhjimbo
                            Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                            Today, 12:21 PM
                          • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                            by fitch270
                            I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                            Today, 01:40 PM
                          • 300 yard .22lr
                            by jhjimbo
                            Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                            Today, 11:28 AM
                          • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                            by jhjimbo
                            I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                            Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X