Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I just purchased a Sako A7 and a Vortex 3-9x40 scope to accompany it. Now my only problem is mounting. The Sako A7 comes dril

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I just purchased a Sako A7 and a Vortex 3-9x40 scope to accompany it. Now my only problem is mounting. The Sako A7 comes dril

So I just purchased a Sako A7 and a Vortex 3-9x40 scope to accompany it. Now my only problem is mounting. The Sako A7 comes drilled and tapped for bases, so what all do you guys think that I should specifically buy to fill that need? I would prefer specific models and not just brands if you can help it. (It's chambered in .308 if that makes a difference for your choices)

Well, here's what can happen.

There are several different manufacturers of scope bases. As to give you a "specific" brand or model, there's tons of 'em out there.
    I have a few personal preferences.
    Weaver bases are as good as any. Pretty much any base will work since the .308 Win isn't a heavy recoil round.
    I DO NOT like Weaver rings, though they work VERY well. Because of their "design", I have a hard time getting the crosshairs square with the gun.
    I prefer a "split" ring with a slotted screw (getting harder to find!) rather than the Torx, Allen or "other"!
    I prefer a Redfield (old style) base over any other and the Leupold base is right behind where the front ring fits into a slot.
    I wish EVERYBODY would do the Ruger "intergral" base thing. Those work REALLY well!
    Best I can tell you, is if you can get to a "shop" or "store" that offers a variety of rings/bases, look them over and select something that looks good to you.

Comment

Panfry101,
      I am in the middle of what you are trying to do and may be able to help. I recently (a few months ago) bought a used Sako A3. Mine has an integral rail that is not your standard picatinny rail so I can't use bases that would work with a weaver or picatinny rail. The rail for the rear base is narrower than the front rail. To make a long story short I have had to order Sako bases and rings. the bases were back-ordered so so far I only have the rings. The rings are excellent and are lined with rubber or plastic to protect the scope surface. My recommendation if it is just drilled and tapped would be to use Leupold bases and rings. If yours has the integral rail you may have to order Sako bases. You should be able to use Leupold rings with Sako bases.

Comment

I would highly recommend Burris Signature series rings. They are by far my favorite. For Base(s) I would recommend steel. (it's what Sako recommends!)

Also for the Base(s) Browning A-bolt is identical to the Sako.

Comment

I have a Sako A7 in 300WSM that I have had for several years. I used Weaver bases and Burris Zee steel rings. The only rings that I use on my rifles are the Burris Zee steel rings. I have not had a problem with them at any time over the years. Even though the Weaver bases aren't steel I have never had one fail on any rifle that I have had. I have hammered my SAko A7 300WSM quite a bit without any problems.

Comment

Any thing made by Burris is TOP Shelf!

Comment

Talley one piece ring and base set.

Comment

Talley is as good as it gets. I have a large 30mm scope on my Weatherby Vanguard 2 in 300 Wby with Talley quick release base and rings. They hold like no other and look good too but are a bit pricey. Mr. David E. Petzal recommended Talley to me and I love'm.

Comment

A full bridge base is slightly more accurate but I prefer the two piece bases for a hunting rifle with that light a recoil. Because of the relatively low recoil, it will be just as accurate and it allows you to get your fingers into and out of the magazine port to handle cartridges better in hunting conditions. Many great bases and rings are available but I like the looks of the Leupold two piece bases with Leupold rings. The Weaver or Picatiny style bases just look a little clunky to me on a nice sleak rifle like the A7.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad