Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well it is spring break time on the Alabama gulf coast. Many young adults and future young adults have arrived from diverse plac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well it is spring break time on the Alabama gulf coast. Many young adults and future young adults have arrived from diverse plac

Well it is spring break time on the Alabama gulf coast. Many young adults and future young adults have arrived from diverse places afar to partake in the sun and fun on our beautiful sandy beaches. My wishes go out to them that the experiences which they have while here are pleasant and will bring them back in the future. But I would like to add that there is much more to the gulf coast than playing in the sand, surf, and consuming potable beverages. The collecting of fresh gulf coast seafood by various techniques is also a great experience. I personally just harvested and boiled fifteen dozen blue crabs. The crabs are very plentiful right now and I only kept males. I use nets that have to be checked every few minutes and live crabs dumped off them. Alabama State law says that you can have five of these nets per person and the crabs have to be at least 4.5 inches from point to point on the shell. Between my wife and I we set and worked a total of ten traps at the Big Mouth sea wall for about an hour and a half Friday morning last week to catch these crabs using mullet heads for bait. The crabs are not very fat yet at this time of the year, but the weekend family crab boil was a great success. Everyone got plenty to eat and Monday my wife picked out the meat from the left over crabs for future use. As a matter of fact, she is cooking crab omelettes at the moment for breakfast. So to all the spring breakers, do not overlook the great bounty available from the gulf waters while visiting here. You do not even have to be a great fisherperson to catch blue crabs.

Uuhhh, santa, sorry amigo, but I don't think blue crabs are on any "spring breakers" minds!
    Binge drinking. Check!
    Wet tee shirt contest. Check!
    Bikini clad college chicks! (especially drunk ones!) Check!
    LOL!

Comment

Don't forget the clams! Throw some corn meal in the pail and let em flush out with it for a couple of hours then into the hot pot. Then clean and mince for clam chowder. Mmmmmm.

Comment

Nice catch Santa! You really know how to do it! I was down there (St. Pete) last week myself. I was hoping for the start of the Spanish mackeral run but the cold weather slowed the migration and gave several wet T-shirt contestants hypothermia. The gulf is beautiful though, all the time!

Comment

Santa
          They might catch crabs, but not the kind you are talking about.

Comment

Santa, I'm crying inside! I'm stuck in my winter wonderland to the north. Happy fishing, it sounds like your living the dream!

Comment

Santa I taught my boy's to fish using Blue Crabs. When they were 3-4 years old, I would tie a piece of chicken skin on a rod, no hook . They would cast and slow retrieve. The crab would not let go and would be netted at water's edge. Kept them busy and did not challenge their attention span.

Comment

MMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As a native Marylander, Blue Crabs would be my last supper if I was facing the electric chair.

Comment

Santa,
                  I look forward to your posts because you my friend know what is important in life!

Comment

You are a blessed man, Santa.

Comment

Hey santa the spring breakers here in Daytona all they do is Drink,Sleep on the Beach,Eat,Party,Eat,Drink,They don't Eat Sea Food. only Pizza and Burgers and Beer, and Pee in the water....Good Luck santa.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad