Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when me and my friend were turkey hunting we found trees that were torn up. at about chest height (im 5'10) going almost all the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when me and my friend were turkey hunting we found trees that were torn up. at about chest height (im 5'10) going almost all the

when me and my friend were turkey hunting we found trees that were torn up. at about chest height (im 5'10) going almost all the way up the tree. the bark was all chewed up and laying all around the tree on the ground. it wasnt a big tree, just a sapling. it was on the side of a hardwood bottom on a hill. i think its squirrels but i just wanted to make sure because ive never seen this before. (there are fox squirrels and grey squirrels in the area)

Bucks will push them over while rubbing and then they spring back up. Or porcupines could also be the culprit. Sounds like a buck rub.

Comment

Or a bear marking territory.

Comment

What state do you live in? If there was a big snowfall it could be rabbits feeding on bark, but 4ft off the ground would require alot of snow in which case I would imagine you're turkey season wouldn't have started yet. So you can probably throw my theory out the window..

Comment

I'm smack in the middle of Alabama. And it's Defenatley not a buck rub

Comment

If it's porcupines, the outer, rough bark will be chewed off down to the green, living, inner bark. There will be pretty evident chew marks on this bark. This is a common food source in the winter. Porcupines climb well and they can strip a lot of bark off a tree, sometimes killing them. My guess is that's what did it. (Unless it was Bigfoot. Bigfoot is my second guess).

Comment

can't say for sure, but it doesn't sound like squirrels

Comment

I think in bama they call bigfoot the skunk ape right? hahaha

Comment

It sounds like a Pool-Cat(Porcupine) Thank God we don't have them Here in Fl.But I did see them and there work when I lived in up-State NY.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad