Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As a take-off on Pray-Hunt-Work's question, how many people from time they were 10 or 12 years old said what their profession wa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a take-off on Pray-Hunt-Work's question, how many people from time they were 10 or 12 years old said what their profession wa

As a take-off on Pray-Hunt-Work's question, how many people from time they were 10 or 12 years old said what their profession was going to be and then were lucky enough to carry it through. I would like to know the percentage of people who were able to follow their dream that they had at that young age. I was one of those lucky and fortunate people.

From the time i was in high school i wanted to be on the N.Y.State Police and eventually work into the BCI on the scientific end of investigation.
    I went to the station with three buddies and when it came to my interview i said i was a sophomore in college, he said go back and get your degree, then come see us. I never went back. All my three of my buddies went on in various LEO positions. One in State Police was killed on duty, other two retired with considerable rank.

Comment

Good for you Sarge. I had no idea what I wanted as an occupation. However was determined to hunt and adventure around the world,that was my goal. Though from a poor family was good at school and had intellectual curiosity to burn which helped me to advanced college degrees. Cleaned a lot of toilets and dishes to get there. During my freshman year in college a famous campus intellectual informed me I was to sensitive and nice of a guy to make it in this dog eat dog world. I vowed to prove him wrong and to do it honestly, fairly, and while being nice to people. If you have followed, and believe my ramblings on these pages over the past few years they indicate I have been pretty lucky in the hunting and adventuring departments. Best Regards To All

Comment

I wanted to be a firefighter as a youngster. While I don't do it full time, I am a volunteer. I could go to a bigger city and work it full time but I prefer to live in the country and help my freind's and neighbors as a volunteer. Its more personal, and very satisfying.

Comment

Outstanding to all those above. I, myself, was pretty clueless except I knew I loved hunting and football. I took a job with the Water Dept. and since it paid fairly well with more overtime than you could imagine, (that hasn't changed, most of our water mains are over 100+ years old) I stayed with it. I have no complaints, my wife and children still love me and I get to take to the woods from time to time with my kids. I wish I didn't live in the city (I have to), but fresh air and countryside is but 45 minutes away, and I work right where Lake Erie and the Niagara river join, so I get to see lots of waterfowl with a great view.

Comment

Sadly, not I. Since watching my first western movie, I always wanted to become a cowboy. But I was grew up in the big city, and it was not to be.
            I later moved to Texas and for a short time, I was a gentleman rancher and raised a few cattle. I wore a western hat and boots, and sometimes carried a gun, so I guess that made me a part-time cowboy.
            Once, while so attired, I was waiting in the emergency room of a local hospital, and I overheard a nurse refer to me as "that cowboy over there." That made it official.
            But I never owned a horse. Sob!

Comment

I'm not quite there yet. I've always wanted to do something environment wise. Environmental Engineering is my chosen major. Year and a half left. One of my friends from elementary school said he always wanted to be in the air force since he was 7 or 8. He's currently attending the USAFA in Colorado Springs. Only person I know to stay that true to his goal.

Comment

When I graduated high school, I wanted desperately to get away from the inner city, and I didn't want a boring, mundane job. The Marine Corps kept me productively occupied for four years, but I really had no idea what career path I wanted to pursue after the Corps. My studies were directionless, protracted. In the years following, I made a few transitions or changes in career direction. In retrospect, I would have been delighted to have had a direction or vocation early in life, but I did not. That wandering led me to (and through) an interesting life, but did not root me in any specific field of endeavor or industry.

Comment

Living the dream every day.

Comment

I always wanted to be in the military and be a police officer, and achieved both of those goals.

Comment

born a farmer always a farmer. thets my dream and theres almost no way it can't happen. thanks, Daniel

Comment

born a farmer always a farmer. thets my dream and theres almost no way it can't happen. thanks, Daniel

Comment

My daughter told us she wanted to be a teacher when she was in 3rd grade. She has been teaching for 11 years now and loves her work. I'm still trying to decide what I want to do at 63 yrs.

Comment

I wanted to be a paratrooper like my daddy who served in WWII. I made that happen! Then I followed my other dreams. I still have not figured out what I want to be when I grow up. Too old to be a cowboy!

Comment

Well I did to a degree. My mom asked me at age 14 what I was going to do for a living and I said hunt and fish. From age age 23 to 29 I guided fishing in Alaska and hunting in Colorado. Now however I live what I truly feel was my destiny, a father to 3 sweeties and a husband to a very fine wife. I also never wanted to work for anyone else and I now have my own business. I still am dreaming though, before I go I'm going to have a whitetail hunting lodge on a trout stream!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to There goes my deer season
                                by rock rat
                                No fires in the unit I was going to hunt, just bad conditions and part of the same National Forest as all the fires.

I am hunting a unit...
                                Today, 08:47 PM
                              • There goes my deer season
                                by rock rat
                                Not that it much matters, not that much meat on a deer anyway, but walk and stalk mule deer hunting is for fun not meat. Whole unit canceled due to the...
                                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by crm3006
                                From Danbo: "Some of the cases that SCOTUS will hear next month. No 2A cases yet but I expect that to change."

We can only pray...
                                Today, 08:31 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by rock rat
                                Maybe you all don't understand how the legal process works. If someone isn't breaking any laws then we leave them alone here in the US. Just how things...
                                Today, 08:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X