Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As a take-off on Pray-Hunt-Work's question, how many people from time they were 10 or 12 years old said what their profession wa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IND_NRA
    replied
    From when I was young I wanted to be a Marine, I did that and went to many bad places and got hurt, so I thought I have had enough of that and went into private industry, but it didn't take. So now I am far from living the dream, but I am back to doing what I do best.

Leave a comment:

• Dcast
    replied
    Sarge, Shortly after I married my wife (2004), my 4th grade teacher retired and ran across my wife. She gave all her students at the time a booklet and we had to fill out all these things about us at the time and what we wanted our futures to be. My wife gave her our address and we received my booklet one day. We read thru it and laughed our rear ends off. One of the questions was what do we want to be when we grow up? My answer was a Marine Biologist or an Architect. I am currently a Architectural designer for a design/build construction company. Unfortunately I didn't go after the Marine Biology, but my job now pays the bills, keeps food on the table, and a roof over their heads! I'm still thankful for what I have regardless.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    At first I wanted to be a cowboy and got some practice at that until the end of college. I liked that profession but felt it would just be too expensive for me to get a ranch or even a farm to get started. I also wanted to be a jet fighter pilot until I took my first plane ride and found it just wasn't as glorious as I had imagined. Then I vowed it would be a profession where I would never have to be indoors.

While in college, I got hooked on the tremendous power and problem solving potential of computers and pursued that with more passion than anything before. I had to work behind a desk my whole life but enjoyed every minute of the adventure and the may outstanding people I had the priviledge of knowing. I was able to apply the honesty, hard working passion and respect for people that I saw in the cowboy and the challenge / adventure I saw in the pilot. Because I made enough money to actually take time away from work, I got to experience the outdoors too. All in all, I wouldn't do it any other way.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Pudgexl29
    If you like tool and die work, you could also ease into some gunsmith work part time. It would make a great hobby.

Leave a comment:

• pudgexl29
    replied
    I am only 17, but for a while now, I have wanted to be a tool and die worker. Now, I have a job at a local die shop, and I hope to continue this after I graduate next year.

Leave a comment:

• fisherking1999
    replied
    When I was 10-12 my parents bought me a chemistry set for christmas, and I was able to make alot of "pretty colors" Since then I've always wanted to be a scientist. Now at at 31, I work as a scientist for a pharmaceutical company and still make alot of pretty color for the analysis I perform

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    As a boy I wanted to be a horse packer and I actually did that for a while but it's not a profession for a family man. Punched a lot of cows too but never really dreamed of doing that as a kid. And like Happy Myles, pursuing intellectual game proved to be every bit as challenging as the four-legged or winged kind so I became a professional researcher and writer. Even as a youngster I knew I would enjoy teaching and coaching. And I did that for a while too. Really loved it. Just wasn't cut out for all the politics though. As a youngster I was convinced I'd never be any good as a professional father and husband but it turned out to be my greatest achievement. The evolution into park ranger actually came quite late in life.

Leave a comment:

• 1ojolsen
    replied
    Well I did to a degree. My mom asked me at age 14 what I was going to do for a living and I said hunt and fish. From age age 23 to 29 I guided fishing in Alaska and hunting in Colorado. Now however I live what I truly feel was my destiny, a father to 3 sweeties and a husband to a very fine wife. I also never wanted to work for anyone else and I now have my own business. I still am dreaming though, before I go I'm going to have a whitetail hunting lodge on a trout stream!

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    I wanted to be a paratrooper like my daddy who served in WWII. I made that happen! Then I followed my other dreams. I still have not figured out what I want to be when I grow up. Too old to be a cowboy!

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    My daughter told us she wanted to be a teacher when she was in 3rd grade. She has been teaching for 11 years now and loves her work. I'm still trying to decide what I want to do at 63 yrs.

Leave a comment:

• gooseshooter
    replied
    born a farmer always a farmer. thets my dream and theres almost no way it can't happen. thanks, Daniel

Leave a comment:

• gooseshooter
    replied
    born a farmer always a farmer. thets my dream and theres almost no way it can't happen. thanks, Daniel

Leave a comment:

• Jerry A.
    replied
    I always wanted to be in the military and be a police officer, and achieved both of those goals.

Leave a comment:

• Bioguy01
    replied
    Living the dream every day.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    When I graduated high school, I wanted desperately to get away from the inner city, and I didn't want a boring, mundane job. The Marine Corps kept me productively occupied for four years, but I really had no idea what career path I wanted to pursue after the Corps. My studies were directionless, protracted. In the years following, I made a few transitions or changes in career direction. In retrospect, I would have been delighted to have had a direction or vocation early in life, but I did not. That wandering led me to (and through) an interesting life, but did not root me in any specific field of endeavor or industry.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad