Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm just curious but has anyone ever been attacked by a wild animal while fishing or hunting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm just curious but has anyone ever been attacked by a wild animal while fishing or hunting.

I'm just curious but has anyone ever been attacked by a wild animal while fishing or hunting.

I was bitten by a squirrel once.
    It was a sunny day and i was having trouble staying awake deer hunting so i was munching some peanuts. A squirrel came along so i gave him one, then another peanut , then another. I thought i would tease him a little and closed my fist on a peanut. Don't do that. That little turd chomped down on the skin between my thumb and first finger. He was determined to get that peanut. Ouch, it still hurts when i think of it.

Comment

Red winged blackbirds have come after me many times.

Had an elk charge me once, but that was when I was taking a photo - I was way too close and deserved it. Fortunately, he decided to stop before connecting antlers to my retreating posterior.

Comment

Wasn't hunting but float fishing with my dad and an uncle when a cotton mouth dropped into the boat. Didn't exactly unass the boat as the snake thought better of it and slipped into the water. Needless to say there was a little more water in the boat after the snake left.

Comment

At the ripe old age of 8 or 9, my grampa and me were casting for bass on the Neches River, walking the bank between Crystal Springs and the T&NO bridge. I was bare foot with my pant legs rolled up. I had caught a couple of small pinkeyes and put them on a chain stringer and attached the other end to a belt loop.
          I waded out on a shallow sandbar and dropped my fish in the water. After (thankfully!) completing a retrieve, I noticed a snake coming towards me. I slapped at him with the ounce and a half No 2 Hawaiian Wiggler dangling from the end of my rod. The snake had fish in mind apparently! When I finally stopped , the snake was lying at the base of the sandbar wondering where dinner went while I picked my barefoot way through the brairs beyond the snake!

Comment

I've had grumpy beavers get closer than I wanted, once while trout fishing, and once while duck hunting. I've been charged by a bull moose while partridge hunting in northern Maine. The closest I've come to messing my britches was checking a trail camera on a bear bait, I felt bark falling on me so I looked up the tree to find two black bear cubs, looked to my left to see mumma bear about 50 yds away giving me the eye. Luckily, the sow was as nervous as I was and kept her distance. I returned the SD card and whistled my way out of the woods back to my fourwheeler. It was a VERY long walk.

Comment

Not yet but i am planning to !

Comment

Deer hunting from a T-Stand as a Guest on a new lease at Noon a 275-300# Hog came in (not wanting to Discharge my Rifle) I choose to use my GI/45Acp I took a head Shot(30') He went down,I was getting ready to climb down, He charged the ladder and wedge him self on the bottom rung and passed through and ran-off. It could have bean worse had I were on the ground.

Comment

i got bit by a goose while playing golf once. those little buggers can bite pretty hard!!

Comment

While fishing in northern Manitoba, my buddy and I were attacked by a pack of about 20 timber wolves. We were so far north that it was doubtful that they had ever seen humans before. They were scary BIG (I have no doubt that some of them could have carried me in their mouth while running 25 mph). They were in a feeding frenzy and executing an organized attack.

Fortunately we were prepared with a raging fire in front of our tent and firewood stashed inside the tent to keep it going. We kept a big stick in each hand so we could hit them in the nose as they came in to poke at us. They surrounded us for about three hours and we didn't think we would make it through the night. We hit a lot of noses that night! Finally though, they all took off and never returned so we could enjoy another great day of fishing (and living).

Comment

I had to deal with an uncooperative grizzly bear in the trail back in 1979 just after my oldest daughter was born. My riding horse came down with navicular disease so I had to can the poor bugger. Was in the market for another and trying out a pretty line-back dun. Rode her in to my fishing camp about eight miles. Coming out that night we ran smack into a grizzly in the trail. He wouldn't get off. I backed down the trail and he followed us. It was getting on towards dark so I had no choice but to get it over with while there was still light. Turned that horse around and rode her straight at him, trying to push him off. He stood up. I slid off and reached in the saddlebag for my Highway Patrolman. Fortunately, as soon as I was on the ground, the bear dropped and left the trail. I walked the mare out the rest of the way, gun in hand. Needless to say, I bought that horse! She served me well for many years although eventually she developed night blindness which is a common genetic trait for line-backs.

I was bluffed charged by grizzlies three times in Alaska. Once while I actually had the line in the water, once when I was on the way to go fishing (the worst episode), and once on the job.

Comment

Keep in mind I have been hunting dangerous game for more than half a century so once in a great while the wheels have come off. Dropped a charging Cape buffalo at twenty feet that had been wounded by a poacher. Killed a very upset lioness at ten feet, she had lost a paw in a poachers snare. Knocked down by an elephant in deep jungle, think he did not see me, I just got in his way. Actually he pushed a bush into me. A leopard mauled me as reprisal for wounding it. Other than these few odds and ends, can't think of anything off hand.

Comment

I never been attacked by an animal but ticks, bees, wasps, green heads, mosquitoes and other insects have pierced my skin many times.

Comment

Happy- I'm glad you can shoot under pressure!

Comment

Was bit in the arm by a five foot aligator gar. I was young and dumb enough to get in the water when I caught him. Tried to put a chain through the gill and it was not appreciated!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad