Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the best heavyweight boxing champion of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who was the last American to win a Olympic gold medal in the boxing heavyweight division?

Comment

99 Joe louis lost to Max Schmeling in 1936 by knock out,he then became champion and knocked out Max in 1938.The brown bomber was a great champ and american,no one wanted that belt to go to Germany and Hitler. Joe said he wasn't the champ until he beat Max.He may have been this countries first black hero!

Comment

Rocky Marciano, undefeated.
        Evander Holyfield, fought in most? weight divisions. Sweetest punch I ever saw was when Evander knocked Tyson out when he was a 100 to 1 underdog.
        Roy Jones Jr. was fairly good, also.
        Hard to pick the best, been so many different eras.

Comment

Got to go with the Rock. Undefeated.

Comment

I'm surprised no one picked Gene Tunny. A former Marine handsome and educated. And he KOed Dempsey. Albeit after coming back from the "long count". Then staying out of his reach. That was his second win against Dempsey the first by decision. I wonder who would be champ if you could bring everyone back for a match. My Father said Dempsey would fight from a crouch and allow his opponent to come in. Tyson like Joe Louis would stalk his opponent wearing him out. Then there's Ali the one that showed Heavy Weights were lightning fast and could move back wards throwing a punch. All things equal WHO DO YOU THINK WOULD BE CHAMP? My self Rocky Balboa [Silvester Stallone} the only boxer prettier at the end of his career.

Comment

Ali said that Smokin' Joe Frazier was the toughest fighter he had ever fought, so he would have to be a top choice.
              I also like the way Lennox Lewis handled Mike Tyson.

Comment

Very true 99. What I find amusing is my boys find Smokin Joe such a lovable guy. I rented and old clip of his fights. They thought it was a different guy.
                PS What do you think of the MMA bouts. At least they can get through their carrier with their IQ's in tact.

Comment

PPS The same goes for Iron Mike had he not met Angelo Dundee he would be doing life times 10. Now he does movies.
                  Another boxer turned movie star was Vito Antoufermo. I met him in Cricies Restaurantt the night he won the WBC Middle Weight Championship. A nice quiet guy; but hands harder than a dead man. I'm glad they didn't wind up like the the majority of boxers. People don't realize the sacrifice they make.

Comment

I don't care much for the MMA bouts. They seem to be less disciplined than traditional boxing, and require a "stand up" rule when the fighters take a long rest break on the mat to conserve their energy. Maybe the five-minute rounds are too long.
                    I understand that Ali was diagnosed with Pugilistic Parkinson's Disease from repeated concussions sustained in the ring. Professional football players are becoming aware of this hazard.

Comment

The trivia answer is Ray Mercer was the last American boxer to win an Olympic gold metal in the heavy weight division in 1988 at Seoul, Korea.
                      Other boxing heavy weights to win an Olympic gold metal;
                      1. Cassius Clay “Muhammad Ali” in 1960 Rome, Italy.
                      2. Joe Frazier in 1964 Tokyo, Japan.
                      3. George Foreman in 1968 Mexico City, Mexico.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad