Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My dog has a huge lump right below where her collar sits. It has grown substantially in the last week, and is leaking something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog has a huge lump right below where her collar sits. It has grown substantially in the last week, and is leaking something

My dog has a huge lump right below where her collar sits. It has grown substantially in the last week, and is leaking something fierce. And it stinks too. The vet told us it was a fatty cyst. But Im worried, so I was wondering if any of you have had the same thing with one of your dogs. She is a black lab, and 10 years old. Thanks guys

I'm guessing that cyst needs to be surgically removed.

Comment

No, but get her to a good vet right away. What did he do for her?

Comment

He said he would do surgery, but it was about 2 months ago, and it wasnt bothering her. Last Friday we scheduled surgery in 2 weeks. But we are going to try to get her in tomorrow and see if they can do it sooner.

Comment

Yes, I've had dogs with these cysts.
          Have a little faith, if it is indeed a fatty cyst it's harmless.

Comment

Is there anything else it could be? I just wouldnt think a fatty cyst could grow that fast. Its gone from maybe 2 pounds to 3 pounds in a week. Its the size of a grapefruit.

Comment

i had a boxer growing up who had a cyst in her mouth. the vet popped it and drained it twice and it came back both times. so they inserted a tube from in her mouth that came out under her jaw and it dripped until it was completely gone. everything ended up ok. after that time it never came back. good luck

Comment

Hoski is correct. My sister had a black lab and he had a few of them. The Vet called them "fat balls" and they are harmless unless one is growing near the eye, then it must be removed by surgery.

Comment

Some labs seem to get fatty tumors (lipomas). Mine has three of them. But as far as I know, they develop fairly slowly and are benign. I'd be concerned that it is growing quickly and is leaking. I'd be concerned about an infection or another type of malignant cancer.

Comment

If I were you I would find another vet. 2 weeks? That's one for the "You have to be sheitting me, Private Pyle!" File.

Call or contact a reputable Lab breeder in your area and ask for a recommendation for a vet. Hit up 2 or 3 breeders and see whose name pops up most.

Comment

Besides the one in her brain that almost took her last year, Pearl has had several tumors that have shown up quite suddenly and I have had them removed quickly each time. One occurred exactly where she was snake bit two years ago and it erupted at the surface. The vet actually gave me some salve that made it go away but I got after it before it became any size at all. Right now she has a large one on her flank between ribs and hind leg that has gotten quite large. It popped up suddenly during the middle of her chemo last year. They checked it several times by draining a bit off with a needle. It's only a fatty tumor but I have seen these develop into cancer later (e.g. my brother's yellow lab eventually had to have a leg removed) so I get them removed. I'll probably have this one taken out this month or next. It's in a place where it will interfere with her mobility if it gets larger which almost a certainty. The one on your dog is growing very fast and I suspect that is not a bad thing. Usually cancer is not quite that aggressive in such a localized spot. I think your dog would have a lot more going on in other places that would be noticeable if it was cancer. I'm sure your lab will be fine but you should get it off so things don't get infected now that it's opened up. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks guys. We leave for the vet in 45 minutes, so hopefully its good news.

Comment

What was the verdict?

Comment

The lump is still just a lump. Between the lump and her muzzle, there was a staph infection. They shaved and treated the area, and she is now on antibiotics. The lump is scheduled to be removed in 2 weeks, and hopefully they will still be able to do the surgey. If the infections still there, they will have to put the surgery off.

Comment

Hope she gets better! Thanks for the update

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad