Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a question for anyone that is very good at wood working or has built a kara hummer layout boat or similar type. My friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question for anyone that is very good at wood working or has built a kara hummer layout boat or similar type. My friend

I have a question for anyone that is very good at wood working or has built a kara hummer layout boat or similar type. My friend and i are having trouble bending the plywood down to the gunnels without it splitting. We have been soaking the plywood with wet towels, it helps but not alot. Any suggestions?

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but have you tried steaming it? Might help?

Comment

You can't do the bend all at once. Bend the plywood and then clamp and let sit for several days to get the spring out of it. Wet and clamp it more. Repeat until you have it where you want it.

Comment

I think bruisedsausage is on the right track. Furniture makers bend wood using steam.
        I don't know how that would work with plywood.

Comment

I am also no expert, but heat should work. Jay is also on to something witht the not doing it all at once.

Comment

Are you using good marine plywood, or luan or something else? The cheaper plywoods have more voids in them, making them much more prone to cracking when you bend them. Otherwise, I do all of the above.

Comment

Yes the grade of wood is very important, as well as the number of plys. I would make a steam box(many plans for that on line)and go slowly.

Comment

Jay, Has the correct answer although the steam would work. Doing it slow will train the wood and keep it from warping after the drying process. Wood resists tensile stress and by going slowly wetting or steaming and clamping will allow the fibers to stretch as needed.

Comment

Everyone above is correct- A steam box is the proper way to do it, if that isn't an option then placing warm water on the underside, and heat in the direction that you would like it to curl. Using a dew covered lawn on a warm morning will work, place the wood on the grass in the sun, put a heavy block of wood in the center and the two ends will curl towards the sun by drawing the moisture out of the grass below and warping it. This also works with getting a cup or a crown out of a piece of wood. I come from a huge family of wooden boat builders, and the steambox is the proper way.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad