Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok dunb fishing question time. . . . what (if there is any) is the proper way to fish in the wind? i spent the better part of sa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok dunb fishing question time. . . . what (if there is any) is the proper way to fish in the wind? i spent the better part of sa

ok dunb fishing question time. . . . what (if there is any) is the proper way to fish in the wind? i spent the better part of saturday sitting on the shoreline lobbing salmon eggs and unsnagging hooks in the shallow gravel. im going for trout and i know these particular trout love salmon eggs. the problem is the wind requires a big weight which in return snags the teeny egg hook when i try to retrieve it.

Is crossing the stream and casting with the wind an option?

Comment

Use a slip sinker with a bead for a stop. This set-up works especially good with floating baits.

Comment

unfortunately not with two toddlers in tow LOL!!

Comment

It’s a little hard to imagine your specific situation but it sounds like the following rig may help you:
          You might use a noodle rod (11-13 foot light action spinning rod). Put six pound monofilament on it and whatever you need for a tippet/leader (about 5 feet long). Drop a 1/2 to 2 ounce pencil sinker from the end of your main line where it connects to the leader on a short dropper so that it can drag the bottom without catching in the rocks.

This thin line should cast pretty well into big wind even with a light weight sinker and the sinker is quite resistant to snagging. The rod allows you to use such light line while absorbing the shock of a feisty trout or salmon. Hopefully, you have enough current to drift the rig downstream presenting the salmon egg ahead of the weight while keeping it far enough off the bottom to avoid snagging. When you retrieve it after a cast, lift the rod tip high to get your sinker and hook off the bottom a little more if possible. Use the lightest pencil sinker that will allow you to cast effectively into the wind. Even if you will be fishing still water, the pencil sinkers do the best job of avoiding snags as any you will find. The flexible noodle rod allows you to survive the high stress fight of a trout with such light line. I've landed 20+ pound steelheads, Kings and Cohos on this rig in streams as fast as 20 mph.

If you need to use a fly rod, roll casting will be your only option to keep the much heavier line out of the wind. Good luck!

If your salmon eggs continue to snag, consider tying several eggs together in a small spawn sack (cheese cloth or nylon stocking will work). They don't hook up as easily. As a last resort if that still doesn't work put a spec or two of styrofoam in the spawn sack to float it higher in the water column. Best of luck cracking that challenge!

Comment

Forgot to mention, I have a couple of noodle rods for situations where the water is too fast, the fish are too big or the wind is too high for a traditional fly line. I've caught big fish with 2 and 4 pound tippets presenting salmon eggs, flies and nymphs. Noodle rods really take the shock. I've landed salmon over 30 pounds on this rig.

Comment

Sounds like the conditions I find fishing Brooks Lake (pic on profile) and for that I use a 3-way swivel. Braid to swivel #1, mono leader to swivel #2, and a slinky weight ( lead shot inside flexible nylon tube webbing so it can snake through or lay over rocks instead of getting stuck) attached by snap swivel to swivel #3.

Comment

yeah i think dakota's getting at a float rod. I have a spin fishing spool of a thicker diameter orange line for visibility and i run a float when i need a bunch of line. i make a fly rod into a hybrid rod from time to time just to pack light i bring the reel you should be careful though good way to break a rod if you try to horse it in, you probably know this. I also tie in a flouro leader on to my float pole. the float should be weighted with separated from itself to taper the to float just right. float fishing is very effective im trying to shy away to get more resilient with the fly rod. But there are always a few windy days when i can fish. good luck and tight lines

Comment

I'm a little unsure from the question what equipment/situation you're dealing with, but, if it were me, I'd use some sort of sliding sinker. If I wanted the eggs to sit, I'd use a big egg sinker, lob it into the wind, then let it set. It might be the sort of thing that those floating-headed jigs are good for. Or, if I wanted a moving presentation, I'd use a bullet sinker, and twitch and sit the eggs across the bottom.

Comment

fliphntr,
                    The noodle rod is not a fly rod. It is a traditional spinning rod that is exceptionally long and exceptionally light action (similar in looks to a fly rod with a spinning reel). Its benefit is that it allows the effective use of very light line.

Any spinning rod could cast light line but the noodle rod actually allows you to CATCH fish on light line by absorbing the shock of their jerks and pulls without breaking the line. Of course it is useful in this situation because light line cuts the wind better than heavier line and trout are tackle busters because of their erratic maneuvers. If you don't have a noodle rod, you can still use light line and pencil sinkers to present your bait. You just risk losing the trout to a broken line. Especially if the trout are over a couple of pounds.

Comment

"Wind from the east they bite the least. Wind from the west they bite the best." -an old feller

Comment

i also just came across a clever use of knots, a supper uniknot leaves two tail ends place clamp sinkers on these ends so if they are stuck in the rocks a subtle pull can free them from the line instead of losing whole setup you lose sinkers.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to No-Drill Adjustable Cheek Riser
                          by Ontario Honker Hunter
                          Mine didn't slip around. I seem to recall some grippy stuff on the inside? Actually fit very tight.

My beef with neoprene is it can become
                          Today, 07:02 PM
                        • No-Drill Adjustable Cheek Riser
                          by Buckshott00
                          Jury's still out on the Prism Scope vs. the Holograph. I invite you guys to check out my pictures and review and cast a vote.

I've got...
                          Yesterday, 04:45 PM
                        • Reply to 16 Years
                          by PigHunter
                          Jim, there's no way that would be allowed on a modern construction site. Those holes were a potential death trap without something shoring up the sides....
                          Today, 06:57 PM
                        • 16 Years
                          by jhjimbo
                          So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                          08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                        • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                          by Ontario Honker Hunter
                          Yeah. Too bad. Too bad this site doesn't have a moderator to flush BS artists like that noncontributory crm troll. He never gives up making a fool of...
                          Today, 06:52 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X