Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys consider bass fishing a sport. I am in a dicussion with a friend who says fishing is not a sport, but he thinks hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JeRome Simms
    replied
    It is our human nature to overcome challenges , to prove the best in ourselves , to ourselves or to best someone else , proving our skill best above all others .

There are team sports and individual sports.Team sports such as baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer etc. ( and not particularly in that order ) are worldly recognized and organized and competed internationally in games as the olympics . These are the modern day sports , that came within or just beyond the last century. Then there are Individual that date back much further such as tennis and golf and others.

Most individual sports derive from or have origins in feats of strength , speed and agility , display of skill in the art of combat against not so much a rival but an opponent such as wresting, weight lifting, fencing, the martial arts and boxing.
    To those of skill and will of survival against nature and the environment such as
    The triathlon, running swimming, diving, archery , shooting .

Archery and shooting ? not so much athletic but sport made of the display of the skill of combat and a means of survival and to feed oneself and family . competition and sport of the skill without the kill, preserving life .

Such as has been made the sport of angling ( fishing ) not by catching for sustaining oneself but sport made of the skill attained to target , capture and releasing unharmed , protecting targeted sport fish species and it's environment , appreciating and preserving it for generations to follow.

Yes , I would consider catch and release fishing definitely a sport .

Leave a comment:

• Andrew Sandstrom
    replied
    well a good point would be the strategy in the sport. in football you establish a run game or in baseball you do a lot of hit and runs. bass fishing is no different you have to decide depth, lure style, color, area to fish and many other factors.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Catch and release fishing is a sport. I never understood it. Serious fishing is for meat, whether with set lines, rod and reel, nets, trot-lines, etc. Big fish to eat, small fish for bait.
    When your friend tells me how to catch and release hunt, I will consider that a sport.
    I hunt and fish for meat.

Leave a comment:

• santa
    replied
    I looked up the word "sport" in my trusty old Webster and here is what I found: "1. Pastime; amusement 2.Outdoor diversions, as fishing, hunting, and esp.athletic contests; also indoor contests of similar nature, as bowling, basketball, etc. 3. (a) Pleasant jesting; as, he spoke in sport. (b) Mockery; as, he made sport of his efforts. 4. (a)A toy. (b) A butt; a laughingstock. 5 A person who takes or accepts things in the spirit of fair play, as if abiding cheerfully by the rules of a game." Thus without going any farther into Webster's definition of the word sport, we can see that he declares that fishing is an outdoor sport. Since bass are a fish, I would say that fishing for them would have to be a sport by definition.

Leave a comment:

• Glenrock
    replied
    Fishing is a sport and can be competitive.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    It may not be a sport but hiking canyons in a 5mm neoprene leisure suit certainly is a workout.
    Or if that sounds boring try hooking a nice trout in the tail above a rapid your boatmates are expecting you to help paddle through.
    I have had some very "sporty" experiences fishing, some I would care to repeat and some that were strictly one timers.
    Maybe have your friend traverse a snow field on a 45deg slope in felt wading shoes and then ask him again.

Leave a comment:

• Knife Freak
    replied
    Also ask your friend if he considers bow fishing a sport because if he doesn't his argument is purely emotion based and not worth anything.

Leave a comment:

• Knife Freak
    replied
    I both hunt and fish and both take a lot of effort. When I am hunting and fishing I am walking everywher I go. Then you have to catch or shoot the animal, clean animal and haul it home the distance you walked so it is definately a lot of work. And for anyone that thinks limblines and trotlines for catfish isn't work they are wrong because it's probably more work setting checking and resetting than bass fishing is.

Leave a comment:

• Knife Freak
    replied
    I think it depends on why you do it if you set nets and traps for fun than it is a sport if yu use a rod and a line to catch tuna to sell it is a job, but yes I consider any form of fishing besides commercial a sport. Ad I am not considering competitive or sponsored fishing commercial.

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    Fishing is a pass time, but then the sport of baseball is America's pass time

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    Does yopur friend have a reason for the distinction between the two? I certainly consider fishing a sport.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Commercial fishing with a net would not be a sport, whereas angling with rod and rel is a one-on-one challenge,demanding knowledge and skills throughout the event.
    Another major difference between the two is the element of fun which is missing in commercial fishing.

Leave a comment:

• Drover1
    replied
    Originally, the English word “SPORT” referred to recreational fishing, hunting and falconry. Competitive events such as jousting or wrestling were “GAMES.” Today we refer to games such as football or baseball as “sports,” but fishing and hunting really are sports (even when they are not set up as competitions.)

Leave a comment:

• 2Poppa
    replied
    Fishing is a sport! Cheerleading is not a sport.

Leave a comment:

• small game sportsman
    replied
    Yes, bass fishing is defiantly a sport. But then again, what else did you expect from this site.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump
    by Danbo
    No that's confirmed!...
    Today, 05:09 PM
  • Trump
    by Danbo
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
    04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
  • Reply to Trump
    by FirstBubba
    I guess you got that from a unanimous source?

It's no good for (D)'s unless the source is unanimous! 👀...
    Today, 05:05 PM
  • Reply to Trump
    by Danbo
    Breaking news Hillary used FBI , and CIA as her own Gestapo against Trump campaign.
    Today, 04:18 PM
  • Reply to Trump
    by Danbo
    Trump landslide 2020.

Biden asks for 4 10 minute breaks what a bum.

Now Bid en refuses to get drug tested what is he afraid...
    Today, 04:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X