Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys consider bass fishing a sport. I am in a dicussion with a friend who says fishing is not a sport, but he thinks hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catch and release fishing is a sport. I never understood it. Serious fishing is for meat, whether with set lines, rod and reel, nets, trot-lines, etc. Big fish to eat, small fish for bait.
    When your friend tells me how to catch and release hunt, I will consider that a sport.
    I hunt and fish for meat.

Comment

well a good point would be the strategy in the sport. in football you establish a run game or in baseball you do a lot of hit and runs. bass fishing is no different you have to decide depth, lure style, color, area to fish and many other factors.

Comment

It is our human nature to overcome challenges , to prove the best in ourselves , to ourselves or to best someone else , proving our skill best above all others .

There are team sports and individual sports.Team sports such as baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer etc. ( and not particularly in that order ) are worldly recognized and organized and competed internationally in games as the olympics . These are the modern day sports , that came within or just beyond the last century. Then there are Individual that date back much further such as tennis and golf and others.

Most individual sports derive from or have origins in feats of strength , speed and agility , display of skill in the art of combat against not so much a rival but an opponent such as wresting, weight lifting, fencing, the martial arts and boxing.
        To those of skill and will of survival against nature and the environment such as
        The triathlon, running swimming, diving, archery , shooting .

Archery and shooting ? not so much athletic but sport made of the display of the skill of combat and a means of survival and to feed oneself and family . competition and sport of the skill without the kill, preserving life .

Such as has been made the sport of angling ( fishing ) not by catching for sustaining oneself but sport made of the skill attained to target , capture and releasing unharmed , protecting targeted sport fish species and it's environment , appreciating and preserving it for generations to follow.

Yes , I would consider catch and release fishing definitely a sport .

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad