Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do turkeys eat apples?

Do turkeys eat apples?

Yes, but likely not the large apples you may think of. Typically it's the small ones that you hardly recognize as an apple.

www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Wildlife/Wildlife_profiles/profile_wild_turkey.htm

Comment

Saw the first strutting gobbler of the year today. Still over one month before the season begins.

Comment

Sure, they crab apples too. Right in the city, I saw a flock of turkeys eat every crab apple off this little tree. The tree could barely hold them,they would sway and flap off and jump back on. They will peck at apples that have fallen to the ground, most birds do that.

Comment

They eat nearly anything a deer will from what I've seen. They eat mast my the tonnage, apples, grass by the roots, berries and most anything else. They also eat insects. I wish they would do some tick harvesting, but it seems to me that they showed up around the same time the ticks did here in Maine. Ive always wondered if they don't go hand in hand. Turkeys don't graze, they demolish food sources for the deer. They find an oak or a beech tree, and will completely clean the ground that a deer might pick at on it's walk through. I love hunting them, but it's discouraging how they take away the deer feed.

Comment

Great job guys! You’re all correct. I just posted two close-up photos in the Field and Stream Trophy Room, that shows turkeys eating apples. The first photo is titled "Do Turkeys Eat Apples" and second photo is titled "Turkeys Love Apples".
            An easy way to view the photos is to click on my profile, then click on photos.

Comment

apples also attract insects which are devoured by turkeys

Comment

Ya they eat apples.

Comment

They sure do.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad