Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so me and my brother together have 425 dollars in gift cards to Gander Mt. We are looking to buy a gun. Thing is he is a lefty a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so me and my brother together have 425 dollars in gift cards to Gander Mt. We are looking to buy a gun. Thing is he is a lefty a

so me and my brother together have 425 dollars in gift cards to Gander Mt. We are looking to buy a gun. Thing is he is a lefty and I am a righty. He will only get a right handed gun if it is semi auto. What would you recomend.

Browning BPS. Bottom eject, no cast off or cast on. Right in your price range, in my neck of the woods.

Comment

Amflyer-thanks it is a good gun and that was last years purchase. we love it.

Comment

Tell your brother to learn to shoot with a right handed rifle. You will have a hard time trying to find a left handed one or a semi-auto that is decent in your price range. When you say gun I assumed center fire rifle. If you are talking rim fire then I would say ruger 10/22

Comment

I know some lefties who shoot Remington 760 or 7600's. Also some single shots are somewhat "ambidextrous".

Comment

At Gander go to the used Gun Dep.look for a semi-auto rifle that you can agree on....and NO you will find a Winchester Mod/100..for $450.00..but you can find Remington 76,760Pumps,Rem Auto Mod. 4,81A,740A,742,7400
            all in the $450.00+/- range, in some rifles caliber will command the value +/- of that Rifle.

Comment

Could a handgun be considered? They are pretty ambidexterous and a .22 plinker would fit into that budget.

Comment

The Remingtons that treestand described would all be good but you will have to add money to your gift cards. I suggest you also consider a pump action rifle since they are just as ambidextrous as an auto loader. You load from a magazine and don't fiddle with the ejection port. I shoot them all left handed and have no problem with ejection issues.

It is a minor issue that the safety is backwards for a lefty but I have grown accustomed to right handed safeties on these models. You can put a left handed safety in them to make it nice for your brother but then you would have the minor issue.

It depenends on what you intend to do with this rifle. These pumps and autos are excellent for normal deer hunting but they are not accurate enough to enjoy for long range varmint hunting. If that is your intention, I would recommend that your brother reconsider shooting a bolt action. They are definitely more accurate for precsion shooting. I have shot right handed bolt actions from the left handed postion my whole life and I can empty a magazine with the best of them. It just takes a little getting accustomed to.

Good luck... by the way, if your total investment limit is $450, I am not adverse to the used Winchester 100 in .308. It had a major recall but if the correction has been applied, it shoots pretty well. If the correction has not been applied, I believe you can still get it accomplished but I have not done the research. I've hunted with one and it works fine for normal deer hunting.

Comment

No one said anything about a lever action rifle. A nice Marlin .308 would do the job fine.

Comment

I am right handed but shoot leftie because I am left eye dominant. Actually I can shoot right handed but with a patch over my left eye. Not bad for target shooting, useless for hunting! I look for rifles with neutral stocks meaning I avoid Monte Carlo stocks. I have looked at pumps and lever actions but I keep returning to bolt actions.

Comment

I'm a lefty that's been shooting right-handed guns all my life (I'm 51). My dad switched a safety for me once when I was 18 and I made (asked him) him switch it back, I was already used to using a right safety, my hands are big though. I would buy a left-bolt action if the chance comes up. If you like lever actions (I do), take the Sarge's advice.

Comment

A CVA Scout in .308

Comment

I'm with Safado... the main consideration for me is that the stock contour not gouge my face when shooting from the left handed position. As long as it does not have a roll over comb, it should work fine for both of you.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                            by PigHunter
                            Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to feel a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is...
                            Today, 06:44 PM
                          • How do you fly ?
                            by jhjimbo
                            Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                            Today, 04:18 PM
                          • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                            by PigHunter
                            Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                            Today, 06:35 PM
                          • Handgun Laser Sights
                            by PigHunter
                            On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                            08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                          • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                            by PigHunter
                            Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                            Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X