Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some time back Dave Petzel made an excellent post concering the last days of Neanderthal man. If I remember correctly one of the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    I believe they were very smart individual to survive that long!

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ken.mcloud
    replied
    Beekeeper-

The creationist thing was a joke, I can't help myself when I get a chance to jab the anti-science crowd.

I particularly love how they take something like the age of the earth, several different fields of science have independently determined it be 4.6 billion years, give or take 100 million.

But of course they say its actually 6000 years old. Why, you ask? Because it is, they say... impeccable logic!

As for the genetics thing,

I don't really have a strong opinion on it, just passing on some info from an article I had read.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, like a mule, a human-neanderthal hybrid might be sterile. That would mean that even if there were hybrids (and there probably were) the genes wouldn't have made it into the modern population.

But like I said, I don't have a strong opinion on it, just throwing my 2 cents in. I could easily be swayed one way or the other.

Leave a comment:

• Bella
    replied
    I believe the eventual dissapearance of Neanderthals was likely from many factors, including climate change and being pushed off the most productive biomes by Cro Magnon the "Sea hominid" as Homo Sapiens developed such things as archery and boats. While no Cro Magnon could have even survived a turn of "Irish Stand Down" with a Neanderthal (gimme yer best shot, then stand there while I knock you down in turn) as Neanderthals were SO much stronger than Homo Sapiens in bone and muscle. However us homosapiens types can run faster, swim and have distance weapons as well as a faster rate of reproduction therefore being able to out compete Neanderthal anywhere except the subarctic biome Neanderthal evolved to survive in.
    I think "urdomheit" or the belief that hominid ancestors like Neanderthal were "stupid" is a great misteak especially when one considers how long the Neanderthals survived. They had to be doing something right for a couple hundred thousand years at least. As far as hybreds go I think it likely, knowing what horndogs Homo Sapiens males can be...

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Golfer,

You grasped the meaning of my question entirely! No matter what we might think of old Neanderthal they had to be extremely smart to have survivied for as long as they did. I would hate to have to deal with either Neanderthal or Cro-Mangon on a less than "professional" basis.

I don't think there are many (any?) of us who would be prepared to survive and thrive the way the ancient ones did. The ancient ones would kick Les Stroud's and Bear Grylls collective butts and serve them well done with a side of Morel Mushrooms and wild greens...

Mr. Mcloud,

You going Biblical on me? As far as the Neanderthal genetic material, it comes from only one bone fragment. I'm glad they have found it, but one has to wonder about the purity of the genetic sample. It would be nice if more viable material could be uncovered.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    ken, I disagree, it looks more and more likely interbreeding was most likely. Look around you.

Leave a comment:

• KingFisher907
    replied
    Beekeeper- I am familiar with that feeling...I feel a definite, primal connection...when I hold an artifact, say a spear point, it is a direct connection with our history and heritage as humans and hunters...

I picture the old ones sitting around their mammoth-dung fire, chipping away at their flints in the fire light and planning tomorrow's hunt...

Leave a comment:

• ken.mcloud
    replied
    for what its worth, the "interbreeding with H. sapiens" theory is looking more and more shakey.

They have almost entirely sequenced the Neanderthal genome, and so far, they haven't seen any of the Neanderthal genes appearing within the modern population.

hey Beekeeper-
    How could Neanderthals live for 200,000 years if the earth is only 6,000 years old? Apparently these fancy- pants scientists can't do maths!
    ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Golfing Sportsman
    replied
    Beeman, I am intrigued by the final part of your question. Are we with our technology going the same way as the neanderthal. I do believe we are. We lean on our technology too much and are too far removed from our natural environment. I can hunt and fish but I do so with the help of modern technology. Give me nothing more than my wits and put me out doors and I wouldn't last long. Stone age people and I mean ALL stone age people knew how to find food, make shelter, make tools and make clothing. I don't know how to do any of these things (at least not reliably), and there is a huge difference between surviving for a week until being rescued and living, thriving, and reproducing without modern technology. And that's what you need to do, you need to thrive to the point that you not only live comfortably but can reproduce and raise children. Who among us could do that without modern technology.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    The Neanderthal was doing good things were well till one day they invented politics, they had a really smart one that they wanted to make leader. Well that went Ok so they kept it up for a few generations with no criteria or qualifications they just thought it was a good idea. This also created laws that made it illegal to kill off or banish the non productive members and actually sent them checks to thier caves to stay home and have baby lazy Neanderthals that also didn't work. Well after a couple of generations of this all the Neanderthals were lazy and thought that someone else should take care of them so H Sapiens came along and killed em off.
    Just my theory...

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Oh, and the NG thing also suggested that N man also may have killed his own children in times of famine to save food. I think that was some liberal BS to justify abortion.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad