Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is a question for country road but anyone else feel free to chime in. See first post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a question for country road but anyone else feel free to chime in. See first post.

This is a question for country road but anyone else feel free to chime in. See first post.

I don't know if you remember my question about a month ago about my fishing trip to the gulf. Well it's all planned out and I have some additional questions. Intentions were to go at the beginning of June but with graduation, graduation parties and the state trap shot all around the same time there just isn't any way to work that out. We have planned our trip for later this month. Since we are going a bit earlier we decided to go further south to florida on the gulf side. We are taking a charter trip for a full day but other than that I will be fishing on my own from the pier which is right across from the hotel and from the beach. What am I going to need to bring as far as tackle? Tell me everything I need from lures to rod. What size rod would you suggest that could handle what I will most likely encounter on a pier? What size and kind (braid, mono) of line should I use? Bait or lures? And any other tips you can think of.

Comment

When I went to the Gulf last year to fish we used medium-heavy rods with 10 pound test and 20 or 30 pound leader (I can't remember). For bait we used Gulp Alive bait and it caught us just about everything we could possibly get! We also used cut bait, but it didn't work as well.

Comment

Ncarl---I'm going to direct you to the Gulf Shores Pier fishing site where all the questions you asked are covered in detail. Go ahead and join, and remember that the "search" feature is your friend. www.gulfshorespierfishing.com This is one of the most helpful sites you will ever run across.

Comment

Ncarl, in the future, if you can ever get all the way down to the Ten Thousand Islands in Florida, you can catch Snook which are my all time favorite fish. You did not say exactly where you are actually going, but remember that the nipple is just off the coast of Destin which makes for very good fishing water. Apalachicola also has unlimited fishing opportunities with its river, delta, and salt water. The whole state of Florida is just blessed with so many miles of coastal waters that it is hard to find a place where the fishing is not good.

Comment

Santa, Anna Marie island. Idk if this is far enough south but the guide we booked said that the snook and redfish is what's biting that time of year.

Comment

Anna Marie Island is at the mouth of Tampa Bay and is just a little too far north for my personal snook taste, but spotted sea trout, flounder, and redfish are very plentiful there. Snook are there too but not in large numbers like around the mangrove roots in the Ten Thousand Islands. Your bait casters with 12# Elite or 17# Trilene XL and light to medium action rod will be all you would need for the specks and reds. At that time of the year, slip cork rigs with live shrimp would be a pretty sure bet to catch a few. Bottom fishing from a pier, I would use small (three to six inch) hard head catfish for cut bait and at least one once weight. Just filet the catfish and cut off the flank leaving a very bloody strip of meat that flounder and silver sea trout (white trout)just seem to love.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad