Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you all think about the captive deer breeding industry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you all think about the captive deer breeding industry?

What do you all think about the captive deer breeding industry?

First, I seldom (if ever) think about deer "farming".

Second, I find it ridiculous and redundant somebody would pay THAT much for a "deer"!(?)

Third. Despite the fact those animals are vaccinated, I understand they have/spread diseases that would destroy free ranging white tails.

It just doesn't make any sense. Who of us on this site would pay $20-30K for a deer?

Comment

Haven't we beat this around before ?

Comment

Ditto~~sarge01

Comment

It certainly isn't being done for the good of the species---it's all about the money.

Comment

My thoughts on that crap run in the negative numbers.

Comment

If i remember right the first case of CWD in central N.Y. was in a captive program.

Comment

Down here in south Texas captive deer breeding is very large and I've seen some of the bucks they raised, it is the craziest most ridiculous thing someone can do to a deer. I've seen deer with weird skinny necks, huge mutated looking antlers and to top it all off they have no meat on their bodies. Is that something you want to hunt.

Comment

I'm neutral, to each their own as long as it doesn't effect the rest and not every case is this true. I mentioned the other day here in Ohio deer farmers which are few and far between are now required to have testing every year on each and every deer with a price tag of $200+ a test. It has put many of deer farmers out of business in a hurry. One I know of, they put down somewhere around 400 deer because of it. I think the testing is a necessity.

Comment

Captive deer breeding means bad news for natural wildlife. here in southern Indiana where I live 20 escaped from a farm and one had tested positive for CWD that came from a Pennsylvania farm. We had never had any signs of CWD in Indiana, and if this incident changes that I will be one ticked off hunter.

Comment

Last I heard there were over 400 deer farms in Ohio. I know of several within 15 minutes of where I set. Not uncommon to see 300 inch deer. They are no different than cows in my book.

Comment

Everybody knows that when you take wild animals fence them in and breed them you get diseases which then gets into the wild population.

Comment

I am not a big fan of it.

Comment

I like that people recognize the disease, aspect of the problem. I don't think deer should closed from the wild for more than a generation. I think it weaken's the offspring's gene's. Debunking the myth which that these deer are superior to the wild deer. There isolation and selective breeding are only after one gene, a secondary sex trait. Its the same as a puppy mill dogs over bread for particular temperament can produce defects such as a large underbite, effectively stressing the animal and causing it to have a bad temperament. It has also created the nightmare of Gene junkie's hunting in free range populations. Moral of the story it causes more trouble than it is worth. You want to kill an animal with a giant rack, you might as well do it the way cattle are. (with a metal rod shoved into its head). I mean no disrespect to the farming community most have a firm grasp of side-effects they are producing and are forced to or take measures to limit them. I have little if any respect for fenced in deer operations, its junk science.

Comment

Sarge & Treestand - Sorry for the repetition...it's for a class project this time.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Pistol shooting form.
                                by DakotaMan
                                I never tried that one 99, You learn something every day....
                                Today, 01:20 AM
                              • Reply to Hunting pants?
                                by PigHunter
                                I wear cotton all winter. In Central Alabama we rarely get snow and have relatively mild temps. I won't hunt if it's below 20 degF. A camo poncho is what...
                                Today, 01:17 AM
                              • Hunting pants?
                                by fitch270
                                This one came to mind as I replied to PigHunter's thread up top about "What's on your belt?". I started drifting but decided it might be worth...
                                Yesterday, 10:22 PM
                              • Reply to Hunting pants?
                                by DakotaMan
                                I usually wear a loose fitting pair of fairly heavy camo pants and a camo shirt for the season from short sleeve cotton to heavy wool. If it gets colder,...
                                Today, 01:13 AM
                              • Reply to What's on your belt?
                                by DakotaMan
                                I always have the knife, sometimes the old Ruger Single Six. ...
                                Today, 01:05 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X