Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok i wasnt clear enough with my first question. i know why animals have skin....thats not what i was asking. i have 5 rabbit hid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok i wasnt clear enough with my first question. i know why animals have skin....thats not what i was asking. i have 5 rabbit hid

ok i wasnt clear enough with my first question. i know why animals have skin....thats not what i was asking. i have 5 rabbit hides, 1 good squirrel hide, and 3 deer hides that i all tanned myself....im looking for things i can use them for besides decoration. anyone do similar stuff? any suggestions?

I used a deer hide this year to replace the seat on a rocking chair.

Comment

I've got throw pillows covered in deerskin.

And I've fancied deerskin seat covers and headrests in the camp jeep.

Comment

Fly tying.

Comment

I used to trade my deer hide to a tannery for a pair of deer skin gloves.

Comment

well you can sell squirrel tails to mepps and theyll send you either fishing lures or cash, your choice. Ive made a rifle case from a deer hide.fly tying. you could make a bag for carrying muzzleloader hunting essentials like spare sabot/roundballs, powder, wadding, etc. you can use the rabbit skins for predator hunting decoys, deer hide is good for longbow handle covers.you can also make knife sheaths, you can make a cool native american style painting on the hide side. Truthfully the possibilities are endless depending on what kinds of activities you participate in such as primitive archery

Comment

well you can sell squirrel tails to mepps and theyll send you either fishing lures or cash, your choice. Ive made a rifle case from a deer hide.fly tying. you could make a bag for carrying muzzleloader hunting essentials like spare sabot/roundballs, powder, wadding, etc. you can use the rabbit skins for predator hunting decoys, deer hide is good for longbow handle covers.you can also make knife sheaths, you can make a cool native american style painting on the hide side. Truthfully the possibilities are endless depending on what kinds of activities you participate in such as primitive archery

Comment

The deer hides with the hair off, and a sailmaker's needle and thread, can be made into buckskin jackets or vests if you can find a pattern.

Comment

Look, if you run out of ideas you can send the deer hides to me! I got lots of stuff I can do with them! Are they "Hair on" hides? That would be even better! Lots of good ideas up here already... patterns for good things can be found at tandy.com for just about anything you would want to make.

Comment

Yea all the hides I've done are hair-on. I'm liking the idea of like a rifle/shotgun scalpert. I've been looking to buy one but making one on my own would be awsome! Thanks for all the feedback guys I appreciate it

Comment

Go to a grocery store. Waiting for the wife one day in the market, I was looking at some fishing magazines and American Frontiersman caught my eye. Its a new magazine that tells you how to tan hides and make useful stuff out of ‘em. Next time at a news stand take a look.

Comment

For the smaller stuff you can make stuffed decoys for predator hunting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad