Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it wise for Woman(Young & Old) to carry a 22Lr,22Mag,25Acp Hand Guns for CCW. with the advent of New and Improved Ammo. What

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathfinder1
    replied
    Hi...

Although not as 'potent' as some other calibers, I would have to recommend an 'in-between' gun...the .380.

Also, there is quite a difference between bear spray and conventional civilian-carried mace. Bear spray that is EPA registered will do quite a job on the biggest bears...and might not be a bad choice for human prey also.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry A.
    replied
    One of the problems with OC (pepper spray) is cross contamination. Any law enforcement officer can tell you you if you spray someone, you or your partner are also going to become contaminated. I have also seen people that have not been or have barely been affected by it. I would recommend a lager sized .380 ACP chambered pistol, something like the Walther PPK. The extra weight from the metal frame will help with recoil. I'm sure you could probably experiment with recoil spring weights with some aftermarket springs from Woolf if she has trouble cycling the slide.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    I don't think you want to get shot with a .32 ACP round either. I just bought my wife a Beretta Tomcat .32 auto because she complained about the .38 Special recoil since her hand surgery. The best gun is the biggest one you can tolerate the recoil and easily carry.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    One of the guys I am talking about when you shot him with a Taser just reached down and took the leads out and threw them on the floor and looked at you. Then you knew you were in big trouble.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    How about a TASER.??

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    WE found out that we had to go in with 4 or 5 guys and literally hold someone down and cut their air off for a period of time to get them to comply. Alot of the time it took handcuffs and leg restraints too. If you haven't been there you don't want to be, believe me. And they don't have to be big people either.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Brute force seldom works on someone lit up with drugs. I broke limbs on guys who were buzzed up and they acted like nothing happened. Sometimes took three and four big men to get them held down and even then had to be careful with the restraints or they'd literally tear themselves apart. However, if they can't breathe (which essentially is what three and four people would restrain) they tend to run out of gas. My experience with pepper spray is that it does a number on one's ability to breathe.

The bad thing about pepper spray as opposed to a firearm for protection is there is no assurance of adequate quality control in the production of the spray. One can always take a particular firearm out to the range and see if it would actually do the job. If that Saturday night special won't hit a barn door at fifty paces or its bullet bounces off a watermelon at ten feet, it's probably a bad choice. But how does one know if a particular brand of bear spray has what it takes? How do you know if it has enough pepper ... or is the canister just full of dish soap? "Okay, Granny, just stand over there downwind for me. Now breathe deeply. Pffft. Oooh ... yeah, that looks like it's working. HONEY, call the ambulance!" Since people's lives may be at stake I am entirely in favor of government standards and inspections for bear spray. Buyer beware just doesn't work in this case.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    In a lot of cases chemicals of any kind don't work on people hopped up on meth. Even pepper spray that effects the mucas membranes dosen't swork on them alot of the time. Brute force is all that works and a women is at a disadvantage in that department.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    OH: Here in Fl.even with a CCW you can't have more then a 2/oz spray...But the Law looks the other way if "woman" have the 6,8,10/oz. As for 99E I Don't what State he's In.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    That's interesting, 99ex. Mace is illegal up here but bear spray is fine (go figure!). My experience with mace when I was a cop is that it didn't always work great (but that was back in its infancy). However, pepper spray is a different matter altogether. And there are several different variations of the stuff. That has turned into a bit of a scandal up here as many folks out west, particularly women joggers, rely on the pepper spray for protection from big cats, loose dogs, bears, etc. I think the government is working on some control standards for manufacturers.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Thank you ALL for your input,I feel that with the advance improvement on Rim fire and Center fire Ammo,any type of firearm is better then NO-Firearm at all!
    I have settled on looking for the B/jet fire in 22Lr,25Acp,32Acp.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    I really don't think highly of the .25 Auto, and would choose the .22 Magnum over it because I've seen the effect of the polymer-tipped .22 WMR on small game.
    I would suggest you consider a Walther PPK/S or a SIG P232, both in .380 Auto. I own the SIG P232. It carries well and I keep it loaded with Hornady personal defense ammunition.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    There are places, like New York City, where pepper spray, mace and other chemical sprays are illegal, but some clever women in dangerous neighborhoods carry a can of Raid Wasp and Hornet spray in a paper bag.
    I would hate to be hit in the face with a blast from that!

Leave a comment:

• Safado
    replied
    I have a Seecamp that uses 32 ACP. It is strictly for extreme up close defensive shooting; it doesn't even have sights! The salseman at my local gun store recommends the 22 mag for ladies; he bought one for his wife. Very little recoil with a serious bite!

Leave a comment:

• Trapper Vic
    replied
    I have a colt 32 cal. semi auto. Its small fits her purse and is easy to shoot. However it isn't very accurate out past 30 feet or so. But i don't think she would have to use it that far out?

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad