Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it wise for Woman(Young & Old) to carry a 22Lr,22Mag,25Acp Hand Guns for CCW. with the advent of New and Improved Ammo. What

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, I might add that most perps recognize that most women are either unable to operate a gun very effectively or reluctant to do so. I'm speaking in general terms of course. But that's also the kind of general terms perps use to base their judgment. On the other hand, they will also likely know that a woman will be much more willing and able to use bear spray effectively. Most gals won't hesitate to attempt to use the stuff and even a poor attempt is usually effective. Most perps know this and if they don't they're going to be given a very effective lesson relatively easily. And one they're not going to forget!

Comment

Sarge is definitely right about the .22. I have seen a few cases similar to the ones he talks about. Major damage. Dcast is right about the pepper spray too. I have been sprayed as part of LE training and it is about the worst pain I have ever experienced. I'm not sure if a blow torch to the forehead would feel much different.

Comment

Get her a baby glock in 9mm and tell her to keep one in the chamber.

pepper spray is ok but not ideal. The wind could just blow it back in her face. Or what if the attacker is on drugs? Or has made himself somewhat immune to it, this can be done. Shoot him till he's dead. That way your tax dollars won't be wasted keeping the bum alive. If he's mugging her he's probably a democrat anyway. It's a good deed to society.

Comment

Yeah, Honk. No. Both kids are LEO's and they've both been sprayed. Both have told stories of perps they've handled that, drunk or high, it didn't faze! Even students in their classes.
          Don't get me wrong, I'll take "bear spray" over nothing any day, but if I've got a handgun and spray, I'm reaching for the handgun first!
          My youngest had an incident where one of their officers actually turned the crazy thing backwards and "maced" himself! Thank goodness, backup was armed with an M4.

Honk, you may convince some others as for the viability of a handgun in a self defense situation, but I can guarantee you, you're wasting your time telling ME that garbage.
          If you think it's wrong? Heck, just stay in Canada where they are "safer"! I don't think anybody down here will complain.

Comment

Yeah, Bubba, I'm sure I am wasting my time telling you anything. You already know it all. The voice of experience for sure. One who has never shot anybody (and, I suspect damn few critters either). And how many times have you used pepper spray or had it used on you? Yep, the voice of experience. As to your kids ... I doubt the apple fell very far from the tree there.

Comment

I have a colt 32 cal. semi auto. Its small fits her purse and is easy to shoot. However it isn't very accurate out past 30 feet or so. But i don't think she would have to use it that far out?

Comment

I have a Seecamp that uses 32 ACP. It is strictly for extreme up close defensive shooting; it doesn't even have sights! The salseman at my local gun store recommends the 22 mag for ladies; he bought one for his wife. Very little recoil with a serious bite!

Comment

There are places, like New York City, where pepper spray, mace and other chemical sprays are illegal, but some clever women in dangerous neighborhoods carry a can of Raid Wasp and Hornet spray in a paper bag.
                  I would hate to be hit in the face with a blast from that!

Comment

I really don't think highly of the .25 Auto, and would choose the .22 Magnum over it because I've seen the effect of the polymer-tipped .22 WMR on small game.
                    I would suggest you consider a Walther PPK/S or a SIG P232, both in .380 Auto. I own the SIG P232. It carries well and I keep it loaded with Hornady personal defense ammunition.

Comment

Thank you ALL for your input,I feel that with the advance improvement on Rim fire and Center fire Ammo,any type of firearm is better then NO-Firearm at all!
                      I have settled on looking for the B/jet fire in 22Lr,25Acp,32Acp.

Comment

That's interesting, 99ex. Mace is illegal up here but bear spray is fine (go figure!). My experience with mace when I was a cop is that it didn't always work great (but that was back in its infancy). However, pepper spray is a different matter altogether. And there are several different variations of the stuff. That has turned into a bit of a scandal up here as many folks out west, particularly women joggers, rely on the pepper spray for protection from big cats, loose dogs, bears, etc. I think the government is working on some control standards for manufacturers.

Comment

OH: Here in Fl.even with a CCW you can't have more then a 2/oz spray...But the Law looks the other way if "woman" have the 6,8,10/oz. As for 99E I Don't what State he's In.

Comment

In a lot of cases chemicals of any kind don't work on people hopped up on meth. Even pepper spray that effects the mucas membranes dosen't swork on them alot of the time. Brute force is all that works and a women is at a disadvantage in that department.

Comment

Brute force seldom works on someone lit up with drugs. I broke limbs on guys who were buzzed up and they acted like nothing happened. Sometimes took three and four big men to get them held down and even then had to be careful with the restraints or they'd literally tear themselves apart. However, if they can't breathe (which essentially is what three and four people would restrain) they tend to run out of gas. My experience with pepper spray is that it does a number on one's ability to breathe.

The bad thing about pepper spray as opposed to a firearm for protection is there is no assurance of adequate quality control in the production of the spray. One can always take a particular firearm out to the range and see if it would actually do the job. If that Saturday night special won't hit a barn door at fifty paces or its bullet bounces off a watermelon at ten feet, it's probably a bad choice. But how does one know if a particular brand of bear spray has what it takes? How do you know if it has enough pepper ... or is the canister just full of dish soap? "Okay, Granny, just stand over there downwind for me. Now breathe deeply. Pffft. Oooh ... yeah, that looks like it's working. HONEY, call the ambulance!" Since people's lives may be at stake I am entirely in favor of government standards and inspections for bear spray. Buyer beware just doesn't work in this case.

Comment

WE found out that we had to go in with 4 or 5 guys and literally hold someone down and cut their air off for a period of time to get them to comply. Alot of the time it took handcuffs and leg restraints too. If you haven't been there you don't want to be, believe me. And they don't have to be big people either.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad