Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it wise for Woman(Young & Old) to carry a 22Lr,22Mag,25Acp Hand Guns for CCW. with the advent of New and Improved Ammo. What

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it wise for Woman(Young & Old) to carry a 22Lr,22Mag,25Acp Hand Guns for CCW. with the advent of New and Improved Ammo. What

Is it wise for Woman(Young & Old) to carry a 22Lr,22Mag,25Acp Hand Guns for CCW. with the advent of New and Improved Ammo. What type of Hand Gun would YOU Reccomend for Woman 21 to 65+?? What say you.

Lightweight .38spl revolver. Less complicated than a semi auto.

Comment

i hate it when people say give any new shooter a light weight short j frame. especially in double action those guns are hard on seasoned shooters. With a long trigger pull, short sight radius and light frame. I would suggest taking this person a range where you can rent guns are where you can get a group of folks together who have a bunch of different guns and run a test to see which one they like

Comment

Like Redfishunter said it depends on what type of gun she feels comfortable shooting, my mom shoots a 10mm Glock and she doesn't mind the recoil but everyone is different. I like those little Ruger LCP.

Comment

jimbo this is manly for woman over 60+ that can't handle recoil and can,t work a slide do to Arthrits or other hand,fingers Problems young and old.

Comment

Bear spray would be much more effective than a .22 and I'm not kidding either. Most women are much more comfortable using something like that to protect themselves. And it is surprisingly effective.

Comment

If the lady in question can (under duress) reliably hit the target's eye, then the pistols mentioned are of sufficient caliber. As for the New and Improved ammo statement, I haven't seen any better bullets loaded in these rounds. Still crappy.

If, however, they cannot, then a concealable pistol in caliber 9mm to 45acp is a better choice.

It used to be that a revolver was considered "easy," and good for simpletons and ladies of all ages. I think it's harder to run than a Glock or XD or something similar. If you can't pull back the slide on a delayed-recoil semi-auto, you ain't gonna have much luck with a revolver

Comment

If they can't work a slide and/or have dexterity issues, they are likely to have confidence issues with any gun which may present greater danger than was initially present. I tend to agree with OHH regarding the effectiveness of pepper spray. I would not recommend a .25 for any purpose. The effectiveness of that round does not have a good reputation.

Comment

Bear spray? There's absolutely no panache in bear spray.

Maybe they should just fire their ball-point pens through the front door.

Hey, does anyone here ever hunt or fish?

Comment

My wife likes my S&W 637 Airweight in .38 special with Crimson Trace grips. She says put the red dot on them a pull the trigger.

Comment

Don't underestimate the .22 Hollow point round. The worst multiple murder that we have had in our town and surrounding area was done with a Ruger .22 pistol. I have also investigated several negligent shootings of people while hunting with .22 hollow points and unless you have seen the damage a .22 hollow point will do don't sell them short.

Comment

redfish

Spot on amigo!

My wife's CWL carry is a Walther P22. Would I like her to carry something bigger? Yeah! But I'd much rather her have a .22 than bear spray or a stick!

Seldom do gun stores have a wide enough selection AND a range so that prospective buyers can try different makes, models and calibers.
                        Hats off to H&H in OKC. A wide selection, they teach the classes AND they have an indoor range!

Comment

I would go with the .22 Magnum in a revolver.
                          Aileen Wuornos, the female serial killer in Florida, used a .22LR to dispatch her victims.

Comment

FirstBubba, you need to have her try bear spray on you. That will make a believer out of you! If it can turn a 600 lb grizzly into a blubbering stumbling mess, I'm sure it will work just fine on a wannabe mugger. And no, you don't have to be very precise with the aim either. The mist is enough to stop the douche bag in his tracks. Then follow up with fine stream right in the mug. Then pick up a stick and beat him to death if you please. He's not going to be able to do anything about it for five minutes or longer.

If a woman flashes a piece, especially a small one, the perp is likely to be encouraged to take the gun away from her to add to his own arsenal or the one down the street at the pawn shop. A spray can is a much less lucrative objective. And I guarantee you, if the perp experiences that once he will be extremely reluctant to engage if he encounters anything even resembling a skinny spray can.

Bear spray is not only immediately effective (much more so than even a mortally placed good sized bullet), it's also compact and easy to operate. That's three huge advantages over a handgun, no matter what the caliber. You guys are putting your spouse/girlfriend at risk playing the macho gun game with them. If you love them, give them something to genuinely protect themselves with that has all the advantages and almost no disadvantages. Stack the odds in their favor. Don't risk adding to those already against them.

Comment

Any gun is better than no gun and to say otherwise is nonsense. Any woman could hit their attacker if she allowed them within ten feet, and lets face it you cannot shoot a mugger in most cases, it is the rapists that they need to worry about and they typically come within inches so any gun is going to do the job.

As for bear spray or pepper spray they are both very effective not only does it temporarily blind you but it will mess your mouth & nose up something terrible. I found this out the hard way after a friend and I decided to test it out in an enclosed space, I would rather be kicked in the junk by a horse than be pepper sprayed.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad