Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little football trivia for you: What team that is currently in the NFL, was moved to Birmingham, Alabama in the late 1960's, b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little football trivia for you: What team that is currently in the NFL, was moved to Birmingham, Alabama in the late 1960's, b

A little football trivia for you: What team that is currently in the NFL, was moved to Birmingham, Alabama in the late 1960's, but ended up only playing 2 home games there before moving back? Hint: The first of those home games was against the Jets.

I am going to guess it was the Houston Oilers, now playing in Tennessee.

Comment

I bet it was a team from the old AFL, before the merger of both professional football leagues. My wild guess would be the Denver Broncos?

Comment

I don't remember much about this deal but it seems the name was FIRE. Not sure where they originated or what happened after 2-3 years. Wasn't Bart Starr involved as a coach or manager or something?

Comment

Steelers?

Comment

Gary is close! It was an old AFL team. Another hint: The team nickname hasn't changed, and they are still in the same state today as they originated in. Keep guessing!

Comment

I grew up in Birminghamand lived there through the 60's and don't recall any NFL team ever being located there other than playing a few exhibitions games there. Atlanta played the Jets there when Joe Willy Namath was QB.

Comment

I grew up in Birmingham and lived there through the 60's and don't recall any NFL team ever being located there other than playing a few exhibitions games there. Atlanta played the Jets there when Joe Willy Namath was QB.

Comment

Buffolo Bills or the Oakland Raiders

Comment

WAM, the Atlanta Falcons are not an old AFL team. The Falcons were always in the NFL. Below are the AFL teams from the 60s that I can still remember. In the 60s I used to watch the AFL.

1. New York Jets
                    2. Oakland Raiders
                    3. Boston Patriots
                    4. Kansas City Chiefs
                    5. Buffalo Bills
                    6. Denver Broncos
                    7. Houston Oilers
                    8. Miami Dolphins
                    9. San Diego Chargers

Comment

WAM, the games were held at Legion Field. I even have a ticket and game program from the Jets game. Out of the 9 old AFL teams, 3 have been named already, so only 6 possible choices left. Keep guessing and you'll get it! And wow, didn't realize that my 2nd hint applyed to all those teams except for one(Houston)

Comment

Oh, only 4 possible choices left now!

Comment

The Baltimore Colts, with Johnny Unitas.

Comment

Football Facts of teams moving to new cities and changing their name in the last fifty three years.

1. New York Jets were the New York Titans
                            2. San Diego Chargers were the Los Angeles Chargers
                            3. New England Patriots were the Boston Patriots
                            4. Oakland Raiders were the Los Angeles Raiders
                            5. Baltimore Ravens were the Cleveland Browns
                            6. Arizona Cardinals were the St. Louis Cardinals
                            7. Tennessee Titans were the Houston Oilers
                            8. St. Louis Rams were the Los Angeles Rams
                            9. Indianapolis Colts were the Baltimore Colts

Comment

Gary, heres a couple questions for you... where were the Detroit Lions originally from??? Ever here of the professional team called Oorang Indians out of little old Larue OH? There most famous player was none other than Jim Thorpe.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad