Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I live in northern Maine. I hunt whitetail every fall and have been fortunate enough to tag one the last four years. After the d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I live in northern Maine. I hunt whitetail every fall and have been fortunate enough to tag one the last four years. After the d

I live in northern Maine. I hunt whitetail every fall and have been fortunate enough to tag one the last four years. After the deer is tagged and brought home it is hung on our game pole until it is butchered. My question is, what is the proper way to hang the deer, with its head up, or its head down. Does either way make for a more tender steak. Thanks. Jake Chambers

Head down is the way it's been done by most since forever.

Comment

I like head down. I don't know why other than it's how I do it.

Comment

We always hung our deer head down. Was never told why or even tried hanging it head up, but you could give it a shot and let us know.

Comment

Head down makes it easier for butchering. It will make no difference on the way the meat turns out.

Comment

I prefer to skin head down. Less hair on the carcass, and strictly my opinion here, but I think the downward pressure on the hams makes for better steaks. I also make a hole at the bottom of the carcass when I'm done by removing the remaining windpipe so all fluids drain out and air can circulate. Hope this helps.

Comment

Head down. Then when you skin it the hide falls down over the head as you go. From there you can use the butcher saw at the neck and then quarter it.

Comment

We've always have hung by the head with no hair problems. Maybe it's a Southern thing though.

Comment

i have done it both ways, and head down is by far the the easy way.

Comment

Head down, but have never tried it any other way....

Comment

Head down. That way you can spread the back legs and that helps to cool the meat faster, or so I was told.

Comment

I usually bring my deer back to camp not gutted. I gut it at my house trailer where I have running water. I hang head up and take a garden hose to the cavity. I wash the deer inside and out. I haul all my deer out with a 4 wheeler so i'm not concerned about the weight of the guts.

When I'm ready to skin, I rehang with the head down.

Comment

I always hang animals head-down

Comment

Professional butchers have used head down for centuries. Beef, pork, mutton,and wild game. The gambrel stick holds back legs open and adds stability, plus aids airing to the carcass.

Comment

Only pansies haul deer out with four wheelers. Real men drag their deer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad