Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think is the best breed of hunting dogs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think is the best breed of hunting dogs.

What do you think is the best breed of hunting dogs.

The Brittany for upland game, and the lab for waterfowl.

Comment

Lab for waterfowl for sure, and upland game is a hard one for me, a lot of good choices

Comment

I would say a Lab for all bird hunting, you can train them to do about anything.

Comment

No dog can run or hunt with an english pointer,they are bird machines of single purpose.The last five dogs I have owned have been pointers and they are to much dog,they don't retrieve train easily,they hunt to big,they dont like the cold and have little personality.They can sure find the birds thats for sure! German shorthairs are good dogs also two of my favorite have been such,Hard hunters great retrievers and good pets,a little hard headed and full of energy some times to much.The next dog I have will be a Brittany,they are perfect for the grouse hunting that I do and in my opinion as good as it gets. They are biddable,hard hunters,easy to train great pets and the ones I have owned have spoiled me.Labs are also fine dogs and worthy of consideration.

Comment

This is really a hard question to answer. What type of hunting? Some dogs are great for small game hunting others are suited for upland or large game. The best breed of hunting dog is the one who has a master that will spend a lot of time working and training with it. Saying that I really like my GSP.

Comment

Another vote for the Labrador Retriever.

Comment

I use my Lab for both upland and waterfowl. I would like to also use my Golden, but he has a mind of his own.

Comment

There are several great ones but my personal favorite is a black lab. They are smart and easy to train with over 100 commands. They are tough and can hunt ducks and geese with the best of them and they don't give up too much ground on upland game birds either. They have an excellent nose and love to retrieve. Mine has retrieved over 50 birds a day on many occassions and still had energy for more. They don't point as well as some breeds but I have never had a need to point and haven't run into many birds other than quail that will sit still for a point anyway.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad