Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the gun laws in Canada compared to here in the U.S

What are the gun laws in Canada compared to here in the U.S

Restrictive, repressive, and totally left of left. No handguns, rifles and ammunition stored separately, trigger locks, same for shotguns, criminal liability if your firearms are stolen, the list goes on and on and on.

Comment

All that left is two more stars * *

Comment

But Treestand, just think about all the free gear that he's been missing out on!!!! As a five star, I don't mind sharing the bounty!

Comment

Who cares? I ain't going to Canada! Not of my own free will anyway!
          I'd prefer to go to Juarez! (friendlier people!)

Comment

They are restrictive, but not that bad. As an American, you can bring in long guns and big revolvers. I think the rule for handguns is that the barrel has to be over 4" and it can't hold more than 7 or 8 rounds. Sorry, I don't remember the specifics. Be aware, though, that if you show up at the border with a legal arsenal, they will still confiscate your pepper spray. Hmm...

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that magazine capacity is limited to five for a rifle, ten for a pistol and three for a shotgun.

Comment

Yeah, Bubba, no trouble for you to go to Juarez. They let anyone with a criminal record across the Mexican border. In fact, I think it's a prerequisite. Forget about coming up here with a criminal record ... unless you're a mass murderer from Africa or a dope czar from Caribbean who can claim refugee status.

No problem owning a handgun up here. Using one? That's a different matter. Must go straight to the range and back and call the cops before you leave. No stops along the way either. Guns must be kept in a locked cabinet or stored with a trigger lock or stored in non-operable condition. Consequently, kids accidentally shooting themselves playing with guns is almost unheard of up here. Very common in Montana where I'm from. Ammo must be stored separately from guns (again a safety measure most of us with kids should follow anyway). Gun owners must be licensed and carry the license with them when using or transporting guns and when buying ammo. Long guns must be transported completely encased except in areas where hunting is allowed and season is opened. After hours the season is not open so guns must be completely encased (or made inoperable) during hours of darkness. Very discouraging for jacklighters. When I'm not coming out of the bush until after dark I'll generally slip the bolt out of my rifle and put it in the daypack. If using the 760 I'll put a cable lock through the open chamber. Not sure if it's entirely legal but I think I'll have a greater probability seeing a Martian up where I hunt than a game warden. As long as I'm making an effort to comply with the intent of the law I'm sure they'd be okay with it. When late leaving the fields goose hunting I'll simply remove my shotgun barrel and put it in the decoy bag. Does not affect my ability to carry the gun.

As far as I know, if you're non-resident and try to bring a handgun across the border you will either have to turn around or they will take it and ship it to the border station where you intend to cross back into the US. You CANNOT travel up here with a handgun. Not possible for residents and unless there has been a change in the procedure in recent years, it's definitely verboten for non-residents.

Comment

99explorer, I believe there was something passed that restricted large capacity magazines several years ago but I didn't pay much attention because it doesn't affect me. I'm not sure if AR style guns are legal either. I don't recall seeing any in gun shops for quite a while. But they never have been very popular up here. This is hunting country not home defense country. Shotgun magazines can be five shot capacity but, like the US, only three shots when hunting migratory birds. I see plenty of auto pistols for sale at the gun shop but I don't know if the magazines have been altered. I'll ask next time I drop in. I left my handguns in Montana since it's not possible to hunt with them here. Shooting at a range is not my thing.

Comment

"... criminal liability if your guns are stolen." That's just a load of crap!

Comment

Oh, I almost forgot: carrying a loaded weapon in vehicle, or even resting one against a vehicle, is an offense that can get gun confiscated at least temporarily.

Comment

Knew there was a good reason to stay outta Canada! Honk just confirmed it!

BTW! You might just be surprised what crosses the border from Juarez to El Paso.. Might be surprised what tries to cross outta Canada too! Amazing! Simply amazing!

Comment

Okay first off I'd much rather go to Canada than anywhere in Mexico you may not know it, but even Del Rio and El Paso are pretty dangerous. Second. Thats a lot of gun laws. Also thanks for the answers and what part of Canada are you from Ontario Honker, just because I'm in South Texas and your all the way up in Canada, and it's kind of neat to read answers from somebody in a neighboring country.

Comment

The "amazing" thing is all that "left wing" legislation hasn't impacted my ability to hunt. Except that I can't shoot grouse with my dad's K-22 like I used to when elk hunting in Montana. Oh well, I shoot more birds now with a shotgun than I can eat anyway.

Comment

I recently heard about some Americans who had attended a gun show in Del Rio, Texas and returned to their hotel room to store some ammo they had bought. They overlooked one box of ammo on the back seat, and it was discovered at the Mexican border checkpoint. They were sentenced to five years in prison.
                              Only some high-level intervention by the State Dept. got them out after serving only a few months.
                              They say that the worst prisons in the U.S. look like pleasure palaces in comparison to Mexican jails.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by 99explorer
                                I love it when I have these guys on the ropes, with each one hoping the other will bail them out.
                                Hey CRM, have you heard any good conspiracy theories
                                Today, 10:19 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I should have been in Africa yesterday. Damned coronavirus! ..."
                                Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; Today, 06:25 PM.
                                Today, 10:15 PM
                              • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by derek7
                                Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                                08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by 99explorer
                                Keep it up.
                                We are still waiting for an answer to my question in comment #56.
                                Today, 10:15 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X