Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm setting up (slowly) my shop, I tend to do a lot of the construction/repair work myself around the house. And I have a real i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm setting up (slowly) my shop, I tend to do a lot of the construction/repair work myself around the house. And I have a real i

I'm setting up (slowly) my shop, I tend to do a lot of the construction/repair work myself around the house. And I have a real interest in metal working. What tools should I set up in my garage? I have a drill, skill saw, hand saw, wrenches, screw drivers, etc any suggestions for out of the ordinary stuff? Stuff i'm over looking? I check craigslist almost every day for a deal on an air compressor, nail gun, and metal lathe.

If you are looking for a compressor they are rated by SCFM [standard cubic feet per minute]. The tools you will use is limited by the SCFM. A nailgun that will deliver 100 nails at 80 lbs at 8 SCFM. Will only deliver 50 nails at 4 SCFM @ 80 lbs. No great shakes. The problem arises with impact wrenches and air drills. They do not work under their SCFM rating and dump reserved air too quick. I have welded, brasied and soldered on my job. MIG is the easiest to master.

Comment

If you are looking for a compressor they are rated by SCFM [standard cubic feet per minute]. The tools you will use is limited by the SCFM. A nailgun that will deliver 100 nails at 80 lbs at 8 SCFM. Will only deliver 50 nails at 4 SCFM @ 80 lbs. No great shakes. The problem arises with impact wrenches and air drills. They do not work under their SCFM rating and dump reserved air too quick. I have welded, brasied and soldered on my job. MIG is the easiest to master.

Comment

Welder, chop saw, plasma cutter, pipe benders, grinders, steel break, torch, etc...

Although its all Chinese, harbor freight has all kinds of iron working tools for cheap so you can get started.

Comment

A Portable Sheet Metal Brake?? One buckinghamshier Steam Center a got to have in every metal shop??

Comment

A bench mounted sander, combination belt and disc. Not too expensive buy handy.
            A good 4" vise with rubber or brass jaw covers.
            A bench mounted light with built in magnifying lens.
            A good sturdy bench.

Comment

A welder and a cutting torch.

Comment

For wood: Portable ("contractor's") table saw; sliding 12" chop saw with a 16" reach at least (I have a radial arm saw which does mostly the same thing but is ten times more bulky and not very portable); a good router table; a good variable speed router (the pawn shops are loaded with these); drill press (also look for in pawn shop). I have a vibrator sander and hardly ever use it even though I do a hell of a lot of finish work (see the china cabinet in one of my album's goose pics). And, of course, a decent shop vac is a relatively cheap but absolutely essential item for any shop.

Comment

As far as metal work goes- Mig welder and a drill press, acetylene torches and grinder with a wire brush wheel. A metal break, a large stationary air compressor, a pipe vice, reamer, pipe cutter and hand tools for threading. several different style vice grips and a a welding table.

Comment

For a metals shop- A pipe bender, pipe vice, plasma cutter, arc welder, wire feed welder, oxyfuel welder, hand grinders, drills, and a drill press, and a good air compressor are all things that we use in our shop every day. Otehr things that most don't think about- a car lift (a two poster is sufficient), a Glass mead machine, and a TIG welder are all good investments.

Comment

Tin snips, pipe and tubing cutters, bolt cutters.

Comment

Why do I keep getting a spam filter block on this post, and why can I not submit?

Comment

Pray, shut down your computer and restart. Also, sounds like you may have some malware running on your computer that you don't know about. Download something like Malaware to clean your system.

Comment

Start with the basics. There are a lot of good suggestions in this post. Then you can add the more specialized tools depending on the project, and your budget. I bought a bunch of wood working equipment from a cabinet shop that was downsizing. all quality stuff, at a good price.

Comment

As far as I am concerned, a well tooled universal single phase milling machine such as a Bridgeport is an absolute must. With a rotary table, it will even do a lot of lathe type work, but a lathe is still needed. Also a Dumore hand grinder or at least a good Dremel tool is also about a must. An inverter type universal multiprocess welding machine with high frequency so that you can Tig weld aluminum and other non-ferrous as well as doing stick and mig welding is always a plus. As to the size of an air compressor, if you get over 7.5 hp, you will need three phase current so I would try to stay around a five hp two stage unit. You may not have the cubic feet of air necessary to feed an old model 7 Binks paint gun, but it will still supply enough to use most modern gravity feed paint guns and plenty of shop air for other tools.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad