Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My family is throwing around the idea of getting a dog. Probably wont happen but there is a small possibility. I would like to g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My family is throwing around the idea of getting a dog. Probably wont happen but there is a small possibility. I would like to g

My family is throwing around the idea of getting a dog. Probably wont happen but there is a small possibility. I would like to get a hunting dog if possible. The number one criteria is that its small and can live mostly indoors. It would be a family dog first so you can see why this would be important. Im allergic to anything that sheds so it cant shed. I realise this is pretty specific but is there any hunting breed that fits this criteria? I hunt just about anything with a season but I figured since it has to be a small dog I would hunt small game with it.

Ncarl

Hate to tell you this amigo, but regardless of coat, long or short, dogs shed.
    Hound maybe? Beagle?

Comment

Labradoodles shed almost noting according to everyone who owns them. I also hear they are good hunters and generally not nearly as big as a labrador proper. They have great disposition and are wonderful family dogs. Also fairly hardy genetics because they are crossbreed.

Comment

I'm with redfish, however from my understanding a "hypoallergenic" dog actually has a hair more like a humans, which is less porous than conventional dog hair. Thus carrying less dust mites which is where the allergies stem from. They still however produce dander and can kick someones allergies into high gear. I too would recommend an English lab, they tend to be smaller, with shorter legs and tails so as not to knock over dads morning coffee each day. I have a two and a half year old english now and she is the sweetest natured dog one may ever find. She would crawl inside you if you let her, but still knows when to keep her distance. She has an awesome nose, and a passion for the water. She is hell on ducks and loves flushing partridge.

Comment

Firstbubba, should have specified better. The dogs with hair simmilar to Poodles, labradoodles, beshawns (I'm not sure if I spelled that right) don't bother my allergies. When I was a lot younger we had a beshawn and she never made my allergies act up. Unfortunately it's the dogs like labs that bother me the most. They seem to shed all over the place and anytime I touch the dog or somewhere it's been then touch my face my eyes start to itch and I start sneezing. And yea, I wanted a beagle and I think my dad thought that was a good idea too but we just live to close to people the barking would drive the neighbors nuts.

Comment

Redfish, yep going to college next fall. Still need to figure out what I'm gonna do and where I'm gonna go. Got a scholarship to shoot trap at one particular college. Pretty far from home though so its a decision that's really weighing on my mind. Anyhow back to dogs, once I go to school for a year I should be able to get some off campus housing where I hope I have room for all my activities. And hey, maybe that means a dog. But I'll try not to pick one that likes fatties ;-)

Comment

Try a brittany they are some what small 40 lbs max usually(my uncles is about 30-32) They have only a single coat thus shed less and are great family dogs. The brits i have been around hunt everything from squirrels to quail and dove(they don't like dove too much but i have only found one dog that likes to dove hunt) to goose and ducks.

Comment

OHH, I've heard the same thing about labradoodles. I'm gonna look into them if this whole dog thing turns out to be a possibility. We are pretty busy people.

Comment

Ncarl- Have you lve only a few miles from the ooked at Lindenwood University in St. Charles, MO? They have a great Trap team and are located in a nice area with plenty of things to do. I actually live a couple of miles from the campus.

Comment

That should be have you looked at Lindenwood University.

Comment

My Britt sheds worse than both of my two labs combined! She's really bad right now for some reason.

Comment

Arat terrier will make a great pet as well as a darn good squirrel hunter. Like others have said all dogs shed. My rat terrier sheds but it is not terrible. They will be in the 20 pound rage full grown so that should meet your size requirements. If you can go bigger a GSP is a lot of fun. They just need some room. Lastly, I second everything redfishunter said in his first post. Spot on.

Comment

Jerry A, funny you mention that lindenwood is the school that offered me the scholarship.

Comment

Redfish, I've considered construction management? What do construction land managers do? It sounds interesting.

Comment

I realize we have gotten way off topic now but I got a lot of good suggestions. a dog will probably turn out as just a pipe dream anyhow. Thanks all!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The End
                                by fitch270
                                No, they're on their phones.

The Old Man still cuts my hair, he had a shop for about 40 years. Started reading F&S hanging out on Saturdays...
                                Today, 04:13 PM
                              • The End
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                This site is officially in the toilet and flushed dry. It's a shame. Used to be a great place to find product reviews and exchanging information and stories...
                                Yesterday, 02:10 PM
                              • Reply to Rip -rbg
                                by PigHunter
                                Exactly why I put him at the top of my ignore list....
                                Today, 03:14 PM
                              • Rip -rbg
                                by fitch270
                                2020 adding to it's bag of tricks....
                                09-18-2020, 09:26 PM
                              • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                                by labrador12
                                Im a cancer surviver. Technically, I'm a stage IV cancer patient right now. It makes my wife feel good so no problem. I've been getting one for the last...
                                Today, 03:07 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X