Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

going ona russian boar hunt this summer and ill be using my bow. I hear they have thick skin and solid shoulders. Ill be shootin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going ona russian boar hunt this summer and ill be using my bow. I hear they have thick skin and solid shoulders. Ill be shootin

going ona russian boar hunt this summer and ill be using my bow. I hear they have thick skin and solid shoulders. Ill be shooting a bowtech guardian, 70# draw weight with 30" draw (D-loop) Im using 100 gr. G5 Montecs, my bow shoots right around 300fps, this should give me enough penetration granted i hit in the kill zone, correct?

It should. Putting the arrow in the right spot is the key. Having arrows stuck in various spots tends to put hogs in a bad mood.

Comment

Ive heard that as well lol

Comment

That is way more than enough. The first two animals I ever hunted were two wild boars in South Texas with a bow. My bow was set at #40 shooting 100gr.

Comment

I hope it is not a cage hunt. Pennsylvania has a russian boar hunt and the property is surrounded by a fence. If it is free running boars, then I wish you the best of luck.

Comment

Your set-up is more than adequate. Spend some time practicing on a pig target. Their heart is lower in the chest than you would 1st think.
            Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Good set up for deer, hogs, turkey, etc. Locate and study the vitals they are diiferent than what you are use to on a deer. Lungs will set a little higher on a hog.

Comment

thanks

Comment

I never hunted Russian Boar. But my Father told me a story about his youth in the beginning of the last century in Germany. He and other young men signed on as game drivers. Firearms where very regulated and ammo very dear. They hunted with dogs and the weapon of choice was a sword or spear. The spears and swords were equipped with a cross piece. This prevented the 300 lbs boar from running up the sword or spear to get you. I didn't believe him till we were at NY's Museum of Art. They have a variety of edged weapons and firearms. There were the swords and spears of which he spoke. Maybe a larger caliber or a smaller pig.

Comment

They don't have thick skin except for their front breast area. A 300+ pound hog will have a leather-like "shield" that will stop a .270 bullet. If you are hunting from a stand, you can avoid a frontal shot on such a specimen. If you are walking and one charges you, you won't have much choice. Your bow is plenty fast and a good fixed blade arrow will penetrate the shield better than a bullet but I still would not count on it. Also, big Russian boars get excited quickly and with an adrenalien rush they won't stop from any kind of arrow hit except for a brain shot. They are likely to go on for 20 seconds after getting their heart pierced. With a bow and arrow, I'd suggest hunting them with plenty of daylight to recover them. I had a buddy who had to spend a night in a tree because the boar he shot stayed near his tree and growelled at him all night.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad