Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compared to deer how does pronghorn taste?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Antelope is the best tasting meat I've ever eaten. I've also had some that was the worst I've ever eaten. My family often exchanges angus beef for equal amounts of antelope as long as they know the antelope was well processed. As others have said, the key is taking good care of the meat.

I field dress them and prop their carcass open in the shade immediately so they can begin a slow cooling. After about six hours, I skin and quarter them and put the quarters on cool concrete covered with sanitary plastic overnight (as long as temps are under 45 degrees). The next morning, they have cooled well and I freeze the quarters immediately. Later I thaw them and de-bone and cut up the meat. If you cool them too fast, they taste like sagebrush whether they are eating it or not. Of course I have seen many an antelope ride around in a truck all day in 80 degree sun only to be dumped on a butcher's doorstep and processed some time in the next two weeks. Then the hunters say antelope tastes "wild". I hate to tell them but if we treated a Grade A angus beef that way, it would be "wild" too.

Antelope is tender and very low in fat. It has a mild pleasant taste more similar to a young beef fillet than anything I can think of. We carry freezers in the back of our trucks for quick freezing near the hunting site and for packing the meat home. Our meat never sees wet ice anywhere along the process.

Leave a comment:

• krwheeler
    replied
    In Wyoming, antelope live on sage, and it comes through in the meat. In other states they live on wheats and grasses.

There are lots of opinions about how to care for antelope meat in Wyoming. I've asked lots of people and heard lots of answers. But DSM is correct. In Wyoming, the antelope season is in late September, and the last few years I was there the temps were in the 50s and 60s during opening week. Bow season starts in late August.

Leave a comment:

• Mathiashunter
    replied
    As long as you harvest them when they are calm and haven't been ran to hell and back and skin them and take care of the meat I would take an antelope over any deer any day no question. We eat alot of game in our house and Pronghorn is an all time favorite!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    They make excellent chili!

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    Some folks don't like antelope. I don't know that I would say they taste like a mule deer but I always liked it. Antelope seasons often run in warm weather. These guys are right. Gut them and skin them quickly so they can cool out.

Leave a comment:

• Safado
    replied
    I like antelope at least as much as venison especially if they have been eating sage. The secret is to get them skinned asap!

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    The trick to Pronghorn is getting the skin off asap,thier hair is hollow and holds the heat. The best game meat I have ever eaten!

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    They taste like chicken! LOL!

Been a long time since I've had antelope, but best I remember, it's pretty much the same.
    What "jay" said is true of any game animal. The quicker you get it in the 'fridge, the better!

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    depends on what they have been eating but in general I think they have a sweeter taste than whitetails. Secret to have good pronghorn meat is to get the animal skinned and on ice.

Leave a comment:

• AAM
    started a topic Compared to deer how does pronghorn taste?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad